Of course OT has a motorcycle section!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by The Cable Guy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Hey guys, going to take my basic motorcycle course next week. Deciding on which bike to get. Mainly for commuting and getting from point A to B. I'm considering the Ninja 250R, it's within my price range, and should be enough to get the job done. Probably going to find one used. Been seeing a few 09's go for as low as $3000 with only 4K on the odo.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

great bike, loved my 08... had it for a year and some change, put 10k miles on it without an issue...

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

What seems to be a fair price for a used 08 or 09 250R?

4. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I live right by you in Walnut! I ride a yellow CBR f4i now. Let us know what bike you eventually buy. Maybe we'll see each other sometime, lol.

A fair price would depend heavily on the condition and what kinda stuff it has on it. Do you mind if the bike has a few scratches or cracks in the plastics? What kind of mileage are you looking for? When I was looking to buy a bike I looked at 250's too. I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but it seemed like everyone and their mother liked to really push the 250 hard by doing quick 0-60 runs, top speed runs on the freeway and stuff like that. so I went with an older 600. Are you a big guy? That would matter too.

Are you taking it at Mt. SAC? I'm a student there right now.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Jeff, yeah I'll be taking it at Sac.

I'm actually considering my buddy's old 2002 SV650S. It's been sitting in his garage for a while.

I'm Asian like you, small, at 5'6".

6. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Jeff, who do you ride with? I've got another buddy who rides, and my other friend is taking the class with me next week.

7. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

sv650 crew

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

SV is a good choice too, or a GS500.

9. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

10. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So my friend just told me that the bike doesnt start.

It needs new tires, chain, brake calipers, brake discs, and most likely a battery.

My new bike is looking more like a renovation project.

Due to the circumstances, what seems like a fair price for this bike ('02 SV350S), and how much am I looking at for repairs. Also, should I attempt repairs myself, or bring it to a shop? I am mechanically inclined, so if the repairs are stupid easy, I don't think I'd have a problem.

11. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

gs crew :wavey:

great cheap starter bike

12. hash browns

the rotors are going to be expensive unless you get lucky with a used set.

rebuild the front calipers - $20 per caliper in seals
    replace the brake lines and fluid - $40 to get a new set of stainless lines made
    chain and sprockets $150
    tires with mounting $250

carbs probably need to be cleaned. replace the pilot jets with 17.5s instead of the stock 15 california model jet size. jets are around $2 each... cheap compared to everything else.

you might need to replace the choke plungers if they are seized $8 per cylinder

13. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I don't go on group rides often since I'm a penny pincher and economically speaking, it's better to have 4 guys in a car than 4 guys on bikes.

But when I do ride, I ride with some of my friends. Never far though since I'm a bit of a pussy, lol.

If you're interested in a gs500 I've got a friend who's trying to sell his. It's not pretty since it was his first bike, but it runs well, and I think it's an 08.

All those repairs on the sv sound simple enough. Chain, battery, and tires are all considered consumables anyways. What's your budget on a bike?

14. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So all in all, looking at around $500 worth of parts. How about the work? Would I be able to figure it out, or is it tricky?

15. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Jeff, this will be my first bike, I'm sure I wont be going to far anytime soon lol.

16. hash browns

i bought my 2000 sv650n last summer.

it wasn't running and had been left outside for some time.

taking apart the calipers was a good ideas as at least one piston had seized

the carburetors are pretty easy if you are mechanically experienced. the float bowl screws strip easily, so you should plan to have screw extractors on hand. the fasteners on the sv650 are pretty crappy in general.

i also had to replace the bike's main starter relay, which was common to many other suzuki models.

how many miles are on this bike?

set aside another $75ish for a set of motosliders frame sliders.

17. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Maybe around 15k on the bike. Frame sliders definitely looks like a good idea. I'll definitely be getting some.

Im guessing I don't need to worry about the rear brakes too much since its hardly used anyways?

18. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Personally, I think you should get a mechanically sound bike for a first bike so shit doesn't blow up on you while you still suck. It's nice to have rear brakes. In the MSF they'll teach you to use both. How long has the bike been sitting? Stuff starts happening when bikes don't get ridden for a while.

What's your budget?

Just curious. How old are you? Are you a student?

19. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Bikes been sitting for a few years, I'm sure I'll have to clean out the carb and ports. Budget is maybe $3k or so financed, thats pushing it. I'd like to keep it ~1500, and since its a close friend, as long as its not a horrible deal for him, it should be good to go.

I am a student, I'm 20.

20. hash browns

i use the rear brake a lot when maneuvering the bike at slow speeds and when application of the front brake is more than necessary

21. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Wow, a couple of years. I'd just take it to a shop. Like I said, it would suck if the bike just blew up on you midride because of a problem that you didn't know about. 1500 can get you a ninja 250 but it won't be one of the badass new ones.

Where do you go to school at?

22. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Ahh, I guess I'll learn more about that later next week. I'll find out if I need to swap out the rear brakes.

I'm hoping my friend lets me have the SV650 for a low price, plus the cost of fixing it up, bringing me to maybe $1500 or so, meaning the bike as is for $1000. Does that sound like a fair price to you guys, or is he getting ripped off at that price?

I go to CSUF, but will be going between Mt Sac and Fullerton.

23. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I've seen working 02 sv650's go for under 2500, so no, I don't think he is getting too ripped off.

I have a bunch of friends that go to fullerton. It's crazy that I'm schoolmates with an ot member. Not statistically, but it still blows my mind. I dropped you a pm.

24. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

No no no!

Run away. Get a bike that runs for your first bike. A new or used late model Ninja 250 or something. You're going to be on a learning curve anyway; you don't need to complicate matters with potential mechanical issues (especially on 2 wheels, which can quickly end you).

I bought a Ninja 250R for my first bike, and bought my wife an Eliminator 125. I actually like the 125 for putting around town on, and the 250R is plenty enough for zipping down the highway to work and back. I plan on trading in the 250R this year or next on a slightly bigger bike, but still one with 50+mpg. I've got my Ninja up to 69mpg right now, and lovin' it. If my wife likes the Eliminator, we'll keep it until she's tired of it, and get a Vulcan (she likes cruisers).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  25. hash browns

getting a running bike will allow you to focus on riding rather than what's wrong with your bike