OEM Vista removal.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sp33d, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sp33d

sp33d New Member

Please if this has been awnswered before, just let me know and point me in the right direction i searched but found nothing.

So i ordered 2 new Dell's for my work, and seeing as you cant order XP pro on anything but 3 PC's they offer i was forced to go to a VISTA OS. I thought it would be as simple as a format but i was dead wrong.

Now i have read nearly 100 posts around the web about removing vista but they all pertain to people that have loaded vista on their PC's not a OEM loaded vista.

So I come to you guys, you've always helped me before. How do i get rid of this terrible OS that is Vista Home basic and get my XP pro back on?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if you have an xp pro disc, what is stopping you from booting with it, format the drive to get rid of vista and then install xp pro?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

:werd:

What problems are you having with Vista?

I upgraded my Dell to Vista about 3 weeks back and everything works fine. Unless you have some serious software issues with Vista, why not at least try it?

4. sp33d

sp33d New Member

When i try and boot to XP from an XP disc it gives you a blue screen of death saying that you have a corrupt piece of hardware, or a virus.

as far as im concered vista is garbage with anything but ultimate. plus vista home basic or premium will not connect to a domain.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Format.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my friend had the same problem you do. he didn't like vista, so he loaded up his winxp disk, formatted and everything worked fine

although lots of stuff under device manager needed drivers, so he spent some time looking for those.

i'm not sure if all hardware that is in a vista computer would have windows xp drivers, i imagine it would

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Same goes for XP home... You can't connect it to a domain. There is a ton of info out there on comparing the different versions of Vista. Vista Business is the equivalent to XP Pro. Unless you buy a business class PC, it probably wont come with anything but Vista home, unless you pay for it. Vista ultimate is probably nothing more than the equivalant to XP MCE. Doesn't sound ideal for a company PC.

As for the hardware error, you get this when you boot off of the CD?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

format

9. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

you could do it the old fashioned way, start from Win 98 bootable floppy, fdisk, format, then start from CD

10. sp33d

sp33d New Member

yeah i dont have a 3.5 floppy drive sitting around handy so im going to have to buy one. I was just wondering if there was a way around it.

thanks.

11. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

they are dirt cheap. don't buy them from ebay or a retailer though because they will charge you about $20 if not more, and that's a rip off for a floppy drive. im sure some OTers have some floppy drives around they will sell for cheaper. i've got one if you need one.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just use a boot cd. Windows XP *should* work. otherwise, a linux live cd.

13. sp33d

sp33d New Member

yes

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I can tell you that the XP CD worked for me - no blue screen of death. Now, that's not to say it will work for you, but it's probably the difference in hardware that creates the problem with the XP CD booting properly more than Vista being stubborn.

15. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I do this at work all the time... (un)fortunately we don't run vista, so I have to nuke every new laptop we get, load XP (easy to do, boot off the CD, format the old install, keep recovery partition just in case), and then hope to god I can find drivers.

We have been lucky except for 1 HP DV6307.... But that is getting returned tomorrow for a Toshiba. It was an AMD and for the life of me couldn't get the drivers for everything. HP was useless (go figure).

And before anyone goes :ugh: or whatever, I have no control over what hardware we buy, I'm just a developer playing sys admin. Stockholm puts in the order online and I just pick it up. The laptops get replaced yearly anyway.

16. JaJae

JaJae New Member