OEM HDD good or bad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I've posted about this before but I never really got any solid answers. Reason why I'm asking now is Tiger Direct has a 200G WD Caviar SE, 7200rpm, 8MB Cache for $89.00. It's an OEM drive but that is a really good deal, so becuase of it being OEM is it going to be a pain in the ass to setup?

2. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

no, oem is just a bare drive without the retail packaging. majority of the parts I buy is oem

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Ok, do I need to download software or drivers from the WD's website before I install the drive? I heard XP can automatically recognize the drive and partition it accordingly. I also heard that you have to download SP1 in order for XP to recognize the drives full capacity, any truth to that?

4. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

no drivers are necessary when installing a hd. only thing you have to do is partition it, but xp recognizes the size once you connect it to your system before you even partition it.

the only thing that you pay for in a retail drive is a cable (ide or sata), a partition software which you don't need, and/or vendor warranty

5. ricehead

ricehead a world in which time is absolute is a world of co

:werd: to what Jay said, you should be all set

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Just double check the warranty, some drives of the WD drives only come with a 1 year warranty instead of a 3 or 5 year.

7. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Without Windows XP SP 1 Windows will only recognize 137 GB of the drive.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

format 10 GB for the system partition from the installer, leave the rest unpartitioned/unformatted.

once you've got XP up and running and alll the updates/patches, then partition the remaining space as you wish from the Disk Management tool (Part of "Computer Management" in Control Panel => Administrative Tools.

Once the remaining space is formatted, install your apps on the new partiiton(s) and right click on the my documents folder and change the location to the new partition(s). This will leave the first partition primarily for your system and the remaining partitions for your apps and docs.

9. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

:bigthumb: