Odd problem with my car audio setup, possible amp issue, need help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by qbushido, Jul 6, 2004.

1. qbushido

qbushido New Member

OK here is the setup, I just decided enough is enough and put a sound system in my STi. I went with an alpine IVA-900 head unit, diamond audio speakers (with crossovers) in all 4 doors and an eclipse amp. All was installed by a professional installer at his shop.

Now here is the issue, after about 10 days with the system out of nowhere I got this terrible sound coming from the speakers, the best way to describe it was a scratching/sucking/popping sound at VERY high volume. it happened regardless of what the headunit was doing at the time, and was repeatable. I brought my car back to the installer who installed my setup who tested and it was determined that it was the amp that was causing the problem. He was certain because as soon as he unplugged the front speaker wires from the amp, the problem stopped and normal sound came from the remaining 2 channels. We sent the amp back top eclipse who sent us another amp, installed it and 5 minutes later I had a similar but not nearly as intense sound coming from the speakers.

does anyone here have any idea what else it could be?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

i'd test the front speakers to see if they are blown. if they are it could be back feeding into the amp and that could be what is causing the moises and burning out the front channels

3. qbushido

qbushido New Member

thanks, I'll check tomorrow!!

any other ideas?

4. 04

04 Guest

If the speaker is blown, how would it feedback any more than a normal speaker? If the coil is open, your emf feeback is going to be nonexistant from the speaker, and if it's shorted, you are going to have less EMF.

Amplifiers are designed to reject such 'problems'

5. 04

04 Guest

Did you switch the rear speakers to the front channels to see if the problem was indeed the speakers or the amplifier?

If the problem ONLY happens at high volumes, its very possible that you are simply exceeding the mechanical limits of the speaker and you just need to turn the volume down...

6. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

is the amp tuned properly? make sure no bass boost is used and see what he set the high pass filter to. check to see how high the gain is as well..

7. qbushido

qbushido New Member

I dont know if the amp is tuned at all, Also 04 the issue is happening even if the headunit it set to on but 0 volume.

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Could possibly just be the source (head unit). Slap another deck into that mofo. If you dont have access to another deck, switch the front and rear RCAs around.

T

9. qbushido

qbushido New Member

unfortunetly I do not have another deck. and naturally it is the most expensive piece in my shitty setup.....

10. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

thats weird.......
    id check the speakers, there must be one of them that are blown or something..just take it back to the guy who installed it...

11. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

in theory you are right, as usual, but i know from what i have seen installing, that if an amp keeps seeing ground from a channel, in theory it ought to bump over to protection. granted i don't play with eclipse amps, but from what was originally posted it sounds as if wasn't going to protection.

Here is what i would test. try swpping fronts with backs and see if it still does it on the front speakers. if it does, then i would do all three of the folloing tests. try popping them with a 9volt battery (which is what i am willing to bet the installer did), then use a dmm to test ohm levels on each speaker, and then while the music is playing test to see if the line is showing a constant ground.

it may be a little overkill but it can answer a lot of questions too.

12. 04

04 Guest

Yes usually the amp will go into protection when shorted. But there isnt going to be any additional feedback from the speaker as I stated above, protection or not.

It certainly isnt overkill if it fixes his problem. I agree though he should try this too.

I also think qbushido should try hooking up a discman to the inputs of the amplifier and see if the noise persists.

13. qbushido

qbushido New Member

well it looks like the problem is without a doubt the front passenger side speaker setup. the tweeter was determined blown 2 weeks ago and removed, though the woofer and crossover is still there. drove around for about 40 minutes after the 3rd amp was installed, wired withouth the screwed up door and was good to go.

What could be wrong with either the components or wiriing of that door to screw the setup that bad?