Odd network/website problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 04, Jan 2, 2003.

1. 04

04 Guest

Recently for some reason, I have been unable to access the secure server on www.newegg.com . I also tried to access www.paypal.com and it would not work either. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the encryption/security of my computer. However, I tried it on 2 of the other machines in my house, both running off my DSL connection as well. They were unable to access either site as well. Is there by some chance a known issue with this? I had not had problems in the past accessing either site.

My setup has each of the 3 computers with a class A network address. Our subnet mask is 255.0.0.0 .

Now heres the interesting part. I go to a free proxy server, and type the information in. And it works just fine!!! Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Wow, a class A for your house? Wheew.

Sounds like a problem with SSL configuration. Go to your internet properties, select the advanced tab. Ensure that the following boxes are selected:

USE SSL 2.0
    USE SSL 3.0

You also may wish to check with your firewall or router settings and ensure that you are allowing SSL connections through.

3. 04

04 Guest

:(

SSL is already enabled. I did have to make a few changes to the HOSTS file to force all my machines to look at each other. I didnt modify anything regarding those websites though.

Each computer gets its own static IP and they are all configured manually. No router, or firewall between the DSL modem and our hub which has an uplink on it.

Another odd thing is that Paypal.com site is not secure when you first enter it. Yet it still wont go to it unless I use the proxy.

Could my IP have been "blacklisted" or something like that? Why would they do that?

Also, I have a Class A IP address. Thats kind of wierd isnt it? It used to be class C, but then they rearanged it I suppose.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You might try using dialup from your computer to test your theory. At least you could change ISP's which is probably where they block it.

PS My ISP uses Class A's as well - VERY subnetted though ;)

5. 04

04 Guest

:( I still don't understand the whole IP structuring even to this day. Someone can be using my same IP address on the internet, just under a different subnet??? I thought that the IP address was all mine to do with as I please, and I could configure the subnet to have as many hosts as I want. I mean, you dont have to input someones subnet in to ping them.

So, my address belongs to me right? Its all mine?

I have read many materials on how IP works. Yet I dont understand this: Class A networks have 8bits dedicated for the network position, and 24bits for the host portion. Only 127 networks are allowed in a class A network.

Ok, so what about say Class C? They can have millions of networks, but only 253 hosts? Why is it any different? What exactly is the difference between a network and a host?

A Class C address can only have 253 subnets right? So, a class A can have millions, and that is why it is so usefull I assume?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Subnetting gets around some of the basic rules of the Class's in regards to ROUTING. Your IP is unique to the entire Interweb unless it's the Private IP range (10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0, 192.168.0.0). Without subnets, every computer on a Class A address would assume they could talk to each other without going through a router. What a subnet basically does is splits that class up and says between these addresses you address locally, otherwise you have to go to a router.

Why there is a Class A, B, C networks I'm not really sure since no one really uses them in that way anyway. I'm guessing when they started to lay it all out, they didn't realize that a million computers on one network segment would be ludicrous.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I don't think you ever mentioned it, but can you access any other https servers?

If not there might be a routing issue with the port needed for https communications (443 IIRC).

8. 04

04 Guest

The wierd thing is, I can visit other HTTPS sites with no problems.

Heres another fun thing. I hooked up a box that is not normally on the network, and it went to the sites just fine! :mad:

I am thinking right now that I screwed something up with my network in the hosts file or something... Although I cant think of a single thing I could have messed up. :wtc:

9. 5Gen_Prelude

It's a long shot and I doubt it, but it's easy to check - swap the network card from the bad computer to the good computer - maybe it's MAC address related? Like I said, I doubt it but stranger things have happened! As for your host file, you should be able to just rename that temp and try it - shouldn't be anything in there that you require for the interweb

10. Dommi

Dommi Guest

dont swap network cards. it has nothing to do with ssl...

in likelyhood, the company that you are shopping at. has black holed your ip subnet access to their secure server for abuse. have you emailed them?

11. 5Gen_Prelude

THere's pretty much no chance of that either since a newly added computer on the same network works fine. :uh:

12. Dommi

Dommi Guest

assuming that they are on the same subnet...

ever work at an isp/
    you dont normally get 3 computers on the same subnet
    especially if your ip subnet mask is 255.255.255.248

13. Dommi

Dommi Guest

curious. did you install an international version of internet explorer. one that doesnt come with 128 bit encryption?

14. 5Gen_Prelude

His subnet mask isn't 255.255.255.248

15. Dommi

Dommi Guest

ok let me point out some facts...
    1. he never said what his IP was. so it very well could be private
    2. isps almost never give out a class a subnet for use by a client node. simple fact is that if the subnet is half full, the broadcast and collision traffic would kill the network.

look. if you must dick wave at me, for whatever reason, even after not responding to my pm asking you what is wrong. then do so. but do some research before lambasting me.

16. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh for crying out loud:

1) I don't get many PM's period - barely notice them since I'm not going backward and forward - I'm doing some price comparisons right now, figured I'd jump in while pages were loading

2) You know full well you don't have any right to accuse someone of "dick waving". I can show you at least two threads in the last week where you have basically done the same thing. Now you've had it done to yourself it kind of sucks doesn't it?

3) There's lots of ways you can configure networks - My ISP actually COMBINES two class C addresses (255.255.248.0). Confused the hell out of me. It's certainly not the way to do things, but it does work.

4) If he has a Class A address, there is no way two sites are going to "assume" what his subnet mask is and block it based on that.

5) I too think it probably has something to do with his encryption settings on his other computers - but I would also assume the 4th computer would have the same problem. The idea is to figure out what is different about the other computer - a MAC address is one, an IP is another.

17. Dommi

Dommi Guest

make you a deal... since I still havent gotten a pm from you. you leave me alone, and I leave you alone. Im not hear to defend what I know. nor am I hear to deal with people who seem to want to prove to me that they are smarter...

18. 04

04 Guest

Uh, all the computers are set up with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. Except for perhaps that one computer that actually did work on paypal and newegg.

It could be the subnet I suppose.

19. Dommi

Dommi Guest

what is your ip