Odd audio problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mooredodge, May 8, 2007.

1. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I woke up this morning and noticed my pc had locked up. I restarted, and didn't notice any problems. Later, I tried to watch a video and could just barely hear the sound after turning the speaker volume all the way to the max. I checked the device settings, windows volume control, etc. Nothing had changed there, didn't show any problems either. I tried updating the driver, and then I had no sound at all. I reinstalled the old driver, and you could just barely hear it again. I've tried it on different audio and video files, all with the same result.

The pc is running Media Center 2005, soundcard is an Audigy 2 ZS. I installed a new dvd burner the other day, but this is the first I noticed any problem. I checked my cables again, and everything appears to be correct. Any ideas?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Did you install any software with the dvd burner?

If so, it may have hijacked the settings, and you may need to go into there
    to adjust them.

3. mooredodge

Nope. I didn't need any of the programs that came with it, so I never even took the cd out of the case. :hs:

4. Create

Create :free at last:

The only thing I can think of is if you installed a new program that hijacked your volume control, even though you can't see it on the control panel volume control.

Try a 2-3 of the latest audio driver sets. Then uninstall any recent programs if it's relevant.

edit: I should read threads before posting. New info underlined.

5. mooredodge

Just figured it out. I opened the case to re-check all the wiring, my power cable from the psu to the mobo was loose. I replugged it in tight, and audio was back to normal.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

I'm very suprised your symptoms were not more severe. It would have taken us a good bit over the internet to even suggest checking the internal power.

7. mooredodge

:werd: That's why it was odd to me. I knew I hadn't installed any new apps in quite a while, and I was pretty sure all the soundcard cabling was correct, it was just lucky that I noticed that cable was loose. :o