MIL OCS: Navy vs. Air Forces

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gsxspeeddemon, Oct 23, 2007.

1. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. I graduated from college with a degree in Finance and am considering joining, however I cannot make up my mind on which one.

2. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

To be honest i am not sure. I graduated in may and dont really want to go to get my MBA yet, so i am thinking about military service. I really dont like the idea of joining the military to do office work. Then again i want to do something that i could use when i get out.

3. kazimer

kazimer New Member

typically you dont become an officer if you dont want to have a desk job.
    im not in the navy or air force so i cant completely vouch for the desk job thing

are you a perfect physical specimen? you could try for a pilot slot

4. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

I qualify physically. However i was told that if you dont already have a pilot license, there is little to no chance of becoming a pilot.

The reason I looked into being an officer is that it would look better on paper, and would make it easier for me to get a job when i got out.

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

well AF goes to OTS not ocs and its no fucking summer camp.

I will getting in the AF as an officer is not easy and takes over a year from application to leaving for OTS. if your going going for a rated job (pilot, Navigator, or air battle manager) selections rates go down drastically to somewhere in the area of 30% rated is about 45-50%. If your not over 3.0 gpa you will need good AFOQT scores and some good letters of reccomendation.

any more questions about the AF process, just aski, i went thought it over a year ago and im in now

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

people that just want the resume builder being an officer can be...usually dont make it out of OTS. We had a few of those at when I went through.

7. DynaGlide

DynaGlide New Member

:stupid:

8. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

Officer over enlistment is what I meant with looking better on paper. I did get over a 3.0 and i am not just joining for the resume. The reason i want to join is because of the experience. However went to school and got a degree in finance and i like it. However i like to work with my hands also.

I figure when i get out i am going to have a desk job for the rest of my life, so then again i am not sure i want my experience in the air force to be that same.

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I dont really know what your looking for in the AF then, if you want to get out and do things and work with your hands ... Most of the AF is support for the flyers which other then maintenance is prett much desk jobs

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was in the Marines before, now in the AF, CA Air Guard actually. I'm thinking about going back to the Corps, but with a commission this time, and active duty again. I've seen active duty Air Force, and I dont like it and won't do it. Sure quality of life is a lil better, but if you're not flying, you're most likely behind a desk. Good thing i'm a flyer ;)