MIL OCS graduates VS Academy graduates

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by s3rca, Jun 4, 2007.

1. s3rca

s3rca New Member

im seriously considering applying for OCS at the end of my initial enlistment . ive done alot of research but one thing that constantly runs through my mind is something i wont find in any sort of manual . this question is for current or former officers .

in your experience , are prior enlisted officers looked down upon or looked over for advancment in favor of academy bred officers?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

where's Turbomaniacal when you need him?

(he'll see this when he searches for posts with his username) :mamoru:

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

a few months vs brainwashed for four years... your choice.

4. s3rca

s3rca New Member

no no no , im not contemplating attending the academy at all . im married so its out of the question , im simply not eligable .

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

oh.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i attended army OCS at Fort Benning...i pretty much relied on the prior enlisted guys to help me out with tactics and other misc army stuff

through talking with others, soldiers like prior enlisted.....but in the end its all about how you carry yourself....hell you dont have to tell anyone you were prior enlisted

advancement is not dependent on commission source.

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you could always go to college on the GI bill and do ROTC after you get out:dunno:

from my experience with officers(read: pretty damn limited), The majority have been from ROTC. Both of the company grade officers at my det are prior enlisted. My former det commander did a stint in the army before seeing the light and joining the Air Force and he was a Colonel. He's now in Saudi doing some embassy or atache thing. Of the academy grads I've met they've all been pretty cool, one was an F-22 test pilot with less than 10 years in and already a Major. The other was pretty much a brand new 2nd lt, he was also a pretty cool guy. Although for the most part if you want to advance all you have to do is do your job, do it to the best of your ability, and don't make any career killing mistakes. The other thing is to not be a toolbag or burn any bridges. You probably already know about that last piece of advice though. Not burning any bridges is probably the one piece of advice that I have heard the most often