SRS Ocd

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wildwood*Flower, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Wildwood*Flower

Wildwood*Flower New Member

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with OCD. I have been doing some research lately, and I have noticed that I have some of the same tendencies. I started this due to a rash on my hands which does not seem to be going away. The doctors told me first it was a fungus, then a latex allergy and none of the treatments are working. So I began trying to think of other possible causes. That's when I realized that I was my hands a lot...probably like 20-30 times a day or more. Everytime I touch something that could possibly make me sick, I have to wash my hands. If I don't wash my hands, I feel like I am going to freak out. I also do things like check locks over and over before I go to bed. Sometimes, I will check it right before I go into my room, but have to get up a few minutes later to check again. The same thing goes with the stove and refrigerator door. I have to check those many times before I leave for work. A few times, I have been on my way to work and I had to turn around to go back and check. One time, I got to work and had to leave to go back and check. I don't know if I am just weird, or if I really have something going on here. Any ideas?

2. Budha

Budha Guest

I'm the same way... everyone has different opinions on this subject. I can break free from it a lot, but sometimes I get sucked in and start getting really obsessive about checking my car door, or making sure the stoves are off. Pends on my mood, and atmosphere though as of late.

3. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

i get the same way. I have noticed for me it gets triggered by a feeling of panic and anxious about something. Mostly it goes into a state of doing something trying to keep moveing, either manic walking somewhere thinking of every foot step and what could be under it and how many i took, to the other day when i rearanged my room compleatly and cleaned (not to an obsessive Perfect state but still had to be clean had to be different had to do it now could not do anything till it was done feeling) For the most part from what i can tell its not destructive but its not good by anymeans.

4. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Everyone has different degrees of this... I have a little too. If it somehow sneaks into my mind that I didn't lock a car door, close a window at home, turn off the stove, etc. I'll have to drive all the way home to check too.

What helps me in the mornings is routine. I just go through the regular pace each morning to do the exact same things... that way, I cover checking all the things I need to check before I leave the house. Write it down if you need to so that you check the stove / refrigerator etc. each morning before you leave and then check them off....

Find a way that would only require you to do this once each morning and then you're golden.

5. Wildwood*Flower

Wildwood*Flower New Member

I have a routine that I follow each time I leave the house. Make sure the dogs are put away, check the kitchen, make sure i lock the door. It has been getting frustrating lately. I check everything before I leave, but I feel as if I need to check it again. If I don't I feel like I am going to panic almost. All day today, I felt like I was in a panic, and I have no idea why. I go to the doctor tomorrow for the hand thing, and I will probably bring this up to her to see if my hand washing could be the culprit. I just wanted to get some opinions from people on here! Thanks so far guys!