SRS OCD Crew: What medication did you take to kill your OCD Compulsions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Also post any that either didn't work or had horrible side effects.

Thanks.

edit - I want to keep this thread primarily about medication but if you did any hippie/new age/holistic/homeopath treatments, feel free to list those, too.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Haven't ever tried anything. I've always just dealt with mine by myself :dunno:

However, I can already tell that movng in with my bf will change a LOT of things for me, and I'm already starting to stress out about it. He's a generally clean person but I have everythng in a spot and routine....I know he's going to fuck it all up for me basically so I might be seeing a therapist soon to ask about possible solutions. I don't want to have a panc attack because he doesn't fold the towels in the precise way I do or put them in the right spot.

3. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

I'm going to start treatment for my ocd and possible take meds aswell but i will start out without without medication. Have you tried cbt? (cognitive behavioural therapy).It's the best treatment for ocd, sometimes however you need medications aswell if the ocd is causing great distress, anxiety and depression or if the ocd is very severe.

When it comes to medication it's different for everyone, just like it is with most medications and pills. We are all very different in many ways.
    What type of medication you get will be determined on if you take any other meds, your medical history etc.
    In most cases medication will only stop the symptoms of ocd or lower the symptoms during the time that you take the meds, unfortunately the symptoms usually come back when you stopped taking the meds. That's why cbt or a combination of the 2 is usually the best.

Maybe not much help or what you were looking for. Why not ask this question to a professional or at a forum for ocd sufferers?

4. Buttseckzman

Buttseckzman New Member

I'm on Prozac right now, weaning myself off. Before I took it, well, I don't think things could get much more miserable. Now, I'm perfectly able to live normally. I only went up to 40mg. Basically no side effects.

Then again, I guess I won't know if it was the medication. My fears/compulsions started getting better within a week, which is way too short for the medication to start to kick in. Many of my improvements were linked to specific events.

I'd recommend reading up about CBT, as someone else said.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

lol this move in thing is really getting to you aint it.

my ocd blew up when I moved back home my mom reorganized my room like 5 times and I reorganize it back its the battle of the ocd

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Just preparing for the unknown, you know?

But yeah, I'm a little terrified because honestly when he moves things in my place now I silently freak out. When we went on our 7-day cruise we were fine, but on the 6th night we had the funniest argument because he keep putting his used clothes on the counter and I'd fold them and put them on his suitcase and he'd put it back on the counter thinking it was hilarious :mamoru: He said "you've got to work on this," which only only make me more stressed.

We can barely take showers together because I have such a routine in the shower it gets messed up with him in there :(

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ I have a total shower routine. I think I do exactly the same thing in exactly the same order every time I take a shower.

Of course I modify it if my gf is in the shower with me. But it's still a variation of the "shower routine."

That's the OCD trait of "sameness," right? I'm a horrible with that.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I do nothing to treat my OCD.. :hs:

9. 2500

2500 Guest

a "routine" is not OCD. everyone wants to label themselves it seems like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder
    shower routines are not "OCD." What intrusive OBSESSION are you trying to "stop or neutralize" by following your "routine?"

OCD people feel wrong, or bad, or feelings of dread if they don't follow certain rituals or routines. If you have to follow the same shower routine because your terrified that your mom will fall and kill herself, then yeah, its OCD. If you follow the shower routine because it helps stop intrusive thoughts, yeah, its OCD. If you just found a routine that works, is quick, and you do the same thing in the shower every day, its not OCD.

There is clinical OCD, the ones people need help for, and then theres societies "OCD" that people throw around like its a fun, quirky characteristic.