SRS occupational alchoholism?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1badbird, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 1badbird

1badbird New Member

well I will start off by saying I am an alcoholic.

For a career I study, drink, and evaluate alcohol. I enjoy my job thoroughly and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Now when it comes to wine and beer I can control myself but the hard stuff is a little different. I've been self medicating clinical depression since I have been 16 with hard liquor. I don't know if this makes sense but different types of alcohol play different roles in my life and when I partake in hard booze I can't control myself.

(i know the simple answer is....Don't drink hard booze but most of you understand that answer is never simple)

2. 1badbird

1badbird New Member

i have hundreds of bottles of booze around the house....mostly wine, lotsa beer, and other stuff, but as long as there is no scotch whiskey or vodka-im fine.

3. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

One of the 500 ways I tried to control my drinking was giving up 'the hard stuff'. I never really drank mixed drinks anyway, but giving up shots and stuff was hard.

I told myself that the only times I really lost control was when the shots came out. I figured with just beer, I could regulate my drinking fine.

It didn't take long for beer to take over the job shots had done before. Same fucking blackouts and same lost memories... just at a slightly different pace.

I'm also curious about your age. I was also self medicating... depression, bi polar, ptsd, ... whatever the docs felt like calling it at the time. By the time I reached 30... that med plan really started to fucking suck.

Good luck to ya. I don't know what you are going through... I can only say it sounds incredibly similar to myself and my early attempts at controlling something I eventually realized I couldn't control. Your brain is going to want that alcohol however it can get it. Giving up just the hard stuff will only make your brain find new ways to con you into getting more/faster from the beer and wine. In my little opinion anyway.

4. Brianelbodo

Brianelbodo while it was extremely pleasurable for me, it was

I've found that while it is true that you can (and often will) still get into trouble with beer and wine, giving up liquor made my life vastly better off, I'll take a bad night with 10 to 15 beers over a bad night on a litre of whiskey any day. I've never made it my goal to completely stop drinking but rather to slowly get back to a good self control level, so whatever you can do to reach that IS a step in the right direction IMHO.

edit: but like blaggard was saying, if you've got mental issues to go along with it, talkin to a doc is probobly not out of order

5. mommyof2

mommyof2 New Member

Well here i go.
    Hi my name is Heather and i am an addict.
    This is how i new who i was. The first time i uttered those words i was 13. In a detox center for crack and booze mostly...also anything else i could get. I went to detox 3 more times. Wilmington treatment center twice 14 and 16. In a half way house twice after treatment. I stayed clean from 16 to 22. I married a man while in the rooms also got the big D. I started drinking with my new hubby 6 years ago. I drink a lot and often over the years i have stopped drinking through my pregnancies( 5 ) I have two boy's 2 and 4. I also stopped a couple of times because i woke up the next day and realized i had drank a 5th of gin or rum and was still walking!!! never stopped long. I try to tell myself that i have it under control. The last year and a half i got hooked on pills and pot along with the booze. I started tripping on myself out of fear!! That i would go back to other stuff. So i detoxed myself off of pills with the help of pot and booze. Then i stopped the pot with a lot of help from booze. I still like to drink a lot. I seem to fool myself by thinking that i got this. Just because i stopped the pills and pot! However i keep asking myself " Is there a point of no return?" Where i will kill that voice tell me to tread easy due to the fact that i was a bottom feeder for so long. That both my parents are dead due to this disease. That my 3 older brothers.. One has been clean for 4 years ( meth ) One is in prison forever ( crack ) The other has a brain injury ( crack ).

So what do you think? Am i fooling myself or am i doing alright?

Then again if i have to ask that ? I guess i should know!!!!!!!!!!

6. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

re-read your post. You have addiction throughout your entire family. One drug is no better than another and doing one thing instead of multiple things makes it no better. I would suggest getting further help asap

7. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

8. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

doesnt really sound like you "like to drink"-it sounds like you had no other choice...

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

If you're an alcoholic and wanting to get/stay sober, I think you're going to have to find another job.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You mentioned through out your post that you were fooling yourself. Look you have a family history of addiction to the point where the people have died. IMO, you should do whatever it takes to get and stay clean from every substance.

I know that I still liked to drink when I got to AA, I just didn't want all the bad shit that came along with drinking. But I couldn't have the good without the bad and eventually I knew the bad would either kill me or cause me to become locked up. I didn't want either but I had also seen in my life where things I didn't want to happen, happened and I was powerless to stop those things. So I was scared and got sober because I didn't want my life to continue spiraling out of control.

It's obviously your decision but you don't have to keep drinking if you don't want to. There is help available in the rooms of AA.