GUN Obtaining an IL FOID

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by viper922, Mar 5, 2008.

1. viper922

viper922 New Member

So I am 18, live in Illinois (south of Chi-town) and am thinking about buying some guns. I went shooting with some friends the other day and it was fun enough to make me want to do this more.

So how can i get a FOID to buy a shot-gun? I do not really want a pistol or high powered rifle, just something to go trap or skeet shooting with!

Thanks.

2. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I think you can get them online now. But I just went into GanderMountain and told the bitch at the counter I wanted my FOID...You fill out some stuff and then send it in...6-8 weeks and you get your FOID with the picture from your drivers license.

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

You're supposed to send in a separate picture, but it's not required.

Real easy to do. Fill out the form (you can print it off), take a picture/print it/cut it to the right size, attach to the form with tape, put in envelope, mail, wait.

Took like 5 weeks to get mine last February. I got it so I could buy my handgun and not wait till I moved. Pretty easy ordeal, yet totally retarded and unneeded.

Also since you're under 21, you'll need your parents approval and signature on the form.

4. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

That's not hard to forge or anything.. :hsugh: So, pretty much if I want to buy a rifle to hunt with I need to go through the same process? Just wondering. It's something I want to do. I'm a bit of a redneck princess..

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Yea, that really shows your responsible enough to own a gun :ugh:

This only applies to Illinois, but yes...if you want to purchase or own a firearm or ammunition and you are a resident of the state of IL, you need a FOID card to do so. If you possess a gun without one you can face something like 5k/5 years PER firearm.

6. Esby

Esby New Member

Here's everything you need;

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

The 1st link in the additional information section is the application, and you can also follow the other links to read up on the act if you want to. It is very simple to complete. Happy shooting!

7. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

On Topic --> WMD

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

He is over 18. He can be drafted. He doesn't need his parents permission to buy a gun.

9. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I'm 23 years old, I don't need parental permission. I was simply stating (if I interpreted that correctly) that any Joe Schmoe any 21 could print off/receive one of these forms and forge a parental signature before sending it in. Yet, there's always hoopla about stricter gun laws. :dunno:

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Do they actually enforce that?

11. t1h

t1h Guest

pics of you?

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

They don't just enforce but they abuse it. Chicago in particular in has a unit called CAGE (Chicago Anti-Gun Enforcement) that is known to compare their registration data to expired foid card lists from the ISP and go after people who forgot to renew their foid.

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

While I agree with you in theory, this is NOT the case in IL. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

14. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

First off, you only need parental approval if you are UNDER 21. If you're over 21, you just need to fill it out and mail it in. I also wouldn't be surprised if they checked into the signature, since IL is pretty bad with these types of things as it is.

Second, if you think that forging signatures on a state form for owning firearms is acceptable, you aren't someone I want owning a gun -- Whether I agree with the form in the first place or not.

It also seemed by the way you wrote that comment that you were encouraging him to break the law to receive his FOID card... That's not something that pro gun people really need tied to them :o

15. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Yes, they do. And like Soybomb said they abuse the hell out of it.

Not only that, but you can't purchase ammo PERIOD without one (unless you're doing so illegally). I'm not even a resident of IL, but when I go to walmart to buy ammo they will very rarely sell it to me (even though they can since I don't live here). Most ranges won't let you shoot without a FOID, and most gun shops won't let you even handle guns without a FOID.

As silly and unneeded as they are, they are taken VERY seriously.

16. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Wow, I think you totally misconstruded what I was getting at. I comprehend totally that those UNDER 21 need a parental signature.

Second, I never condoned or encouraged someone getting a signature forged to obtain a gun license. I was merely making a comment on how ridiculous that seemed to me, not stating "HEY! You don't really need parental permission to get a gun, go on and forge daddy's signature". I'm sorry you feel that I appeared to be coming across that way. I'm not. I find that that requirement is very easy to get around, and I'm not saying that in encouragement to break the law. I'm saying that because I feel it to be a negative safety feature they seem to have in place. But, if I misinterpreted it, then I apologize. I know very little about gun ownership, obviously. My father and brother are avid hunters, hence my interest in it.

17. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Oh man that's dirty. I thought CA was bad. :(

Ridiculous. :ugh:

Was murder really bad there for them to come up with these bs laws? How did this come about?

18. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I guess I did take that out of context then, my apologies. It just came across to me that you were encouraging him to get around the law :o Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I agree that it is a stupid law and extremely easy to get around...Most laws are :dunno: But the thing that separates us from criminals is the fact that we don't want to get around a law, as stupid as it may be. I don't agree with FOID cards one bit, I see them as just another way to "see your papers" or similar. There should be no need for such a thing, but sadly IL lawmakers think they help stop crime :ugh:

It's just feel good legislation IMO. Almost all of IL south of I80 is all rural, so it's mainly people with a long tradition of hunting and such that are effected by this. Obviously it's useless, since as we know...criminals don't follow gun laws :ugh:

19. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Oh and IL gun laws were one of my top 3 reasons for leaving the state. I refuse to give my tax dollars to a government who tries to remove my rights.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:hs::wtc:

21. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

Amen. Good for you man! :)