SRS obsessive compulsive? im really screwed up

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by steve3p0, Oct 15, 2005.

1. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

I really don't know whats wrong with me. It started when I was about 11. I moved from a very nice house in a nice town to a much smaller house in a shittier town after my parents had some financial trouble. The whole thing was pretty stressful for me. At about that time, or a little bit after, something clicked in my head. This is will sound pretty damn wierd, but suddenly I couldn't stand the sound of someone eating. It is like someone is scraping their finger nails on a chalk board, but 100x worse. I don't have as much of a problem with it with people eating near me in public, but more with the people in my close family. It is so bad that I cannot eat in the same room as anyone else in my house. I used to ask my family to stop eating when i'd go into the kitchen to get a snack, but I realized how fucked up that was, so now I just stay in my room for most of the day and if someone is in the kitchen I'll wait for them to leave. This has been going on for about 6 years now, and it has only gotten worse. I did see a psychiatrist for a few months, but he just looked at me like I was nuts(i dont blame him, this shit is pretty wierd), and he prescribed some pill called "paxil." i took the pill for several months, but it did more harm than help. that shit is intense. Other than that he didnt really ever give me a diagnosis to my problem.

Some info about me/my family:

I am 17, mildy overweight (6'1, 210lbs), I am generally a loner and have never had many friends. I have a younger brother. I have a younger adopted sister who I absolutely cannot stand, and is a big catalyst for stress in my life. My parents have been married for 25 years. At the time this started, my mother was very overweight, but she had her stomach stapled about two years ago and is much slimmer and healthier now. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with my problem, but what the hell.

has anyone ever heard of a case even a little bit similar to this or am i just completely fucked up in the head?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

There is something that doesn't add up. If you don't have a problem with the sound in general public of people eating, but do have a problem when your family is eating then it almost sound asif you have something against your family.

Ok imagine you are at school sitting at a table and people are eating lunch right next to you, does the sound of that irritate you? And how is it possible that when you eat yourself that you aren't affected by this?

3. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

yes, the sound of people eating does irritate me, but no where near as much as the sound of my family eating. I don't hear the sound that irritates me when I eat myself.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ok i have heard of a rare form of epilepsia in which people would get a seizure when they would hear music , the Emotional cores of the brain are connected to our hearing, which is the reason why we get upset or happy when we hear certain sounds, this moment where something 'clicked' inside your head ,maby caused by a blow on the head,depression, or medicine usage maby made you oversensitive to sound.

But to me that sounds absolutely rediculous because a physical problem doesn't discriminate , for instance if you broke both legs and can't walk the stairs in your own home, but are able to do this with the neigbours staircase you somehow miracously climb to the top. Unless your family chews really extra ordinairy hard on the food and eating the plates along with it in making sound to irritate you it doesn't sound plausible.

What does sounds plausible however are the psychiatric problems such as stress,irritation and misery you encounter from your adopted sister. Basically your life is a mess in several ways, and i dare to say that this 'clicked' thing was that something snapped in you because you had to face up a stressfull family life , in a shitty house. Which is absolutely ideal for spawning problems over petty things ,this because the space and territory shared in the house must be shared with a person you possibly cannot stand, and of course rivalty will emerge,and arguments will arise because you hate your adopted sister,and are irritated and therefore seek peace of mind and find this in the form of locking yourself up in your own room. Where you basically have chosen peace of mind on top of being part of a family life in which your dating and outgoing life got entangled with.

What i want you to know is that i firmly believe that once you move out on your own and live in your own apartment the irritation would go away in personal form and in auditative form. Therefore my advice is to as long as you still live in the house with your family , is to overwelm your family with love and light and help them out in every way you can, simply because one cannot fight evil with evil, only evil will win you can only fight evil with love. Therefore if you love your adopted sister and just give her whatever she wants so she won't bug you anymore , if a fight occurs just give her her way, its probably not worth fighting over at all. Hopefully that will restore the peace and will make the irritating sound go away.

5. same shit happens to me its weird. i'd like to know an answer to this. maybe it was because we used to eat as a family all together but now that we dont i miss it but don't want to admit it and thats the sounds which remind me of such when i eat with a family member?

6. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

I can't stand that sound!! I am really sensitive to sound, so just hearing you describe it hurt my ears. I don't care for Paxil but they have other meds. Although, I would think finding a Behavior Therapist would be better. I'm sure some might think "get over it" :rolleyes: , but it sounds like it is connected to deeper issues, and once you learn better coping skills it will go away.:hs:

7. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Yeah, it sounds like you have "developed" a "condition" to remove yourself from a bad situation. Eating with the family is stressful, so your body made up a illness to keep you away.

This is in fact very NATURAL although not "normal." Let me explain.

There are many well documented cases of similar things happening to folks in stressful situations. The one I most vividly remember was the case of a guy in a relationship with a woman who he hated. However, he could not break it off with her for whatever reason(s) so he was slowly becoming more miserable. Well, as luck ;) would have it, every night after work he would have to drive to her place (they lived seperately) after dark. Over time, he noticed it was getting harder and harder to see while he was driving, until he developed full-blown night blindness. This condition basically means you cannot see in the dark, even with street lights, headlights, etc. Well, of course with this condition he could no longer drive to his abusive GF's house. A few months later the relationship fell apart. Then, a few months after THAT, his night blindness went away. So it was not a physical issue, but psychological, and it was his body's NATURAL defense to a stressful situation.

So, it was what is called psychosomatic (I think that is the word.) Your body caused a "condition" to protect you.

People who are anarexic, bulemic (sp?) and other eating disorders are often from families that have serious emotional issues. Kids use eating (or not eating) as a way to exert control over their families abusive behaviors. Again, while this behavior is not desired, it is VERY EFFECTIVE.

So, think about it - you're stuck in a situation you HATE. You've developed a "condition" to deal with it. Bravo! :big grin:

My take on it is that this "condition" will go away after you move out. So, with that in mind, what would it take to get you living somewhere else? Save some money for the deposit on an apartment? Start getting some credit cards and build a credit history (don't use the card; emergency use only!), and get a cheap used car (auction maybe?)

I hate my sister, but only when I see her in person. She's overbearing and drives me nuts. I cannot explain my behavior, but I transform into a complete asshole. Once I am gone, or talk to her on the phone, everything is fine. Sounds like what you are going through in a similar concept.

My GF got a new job where they overloaded her with crap and she was working 12-14 hour days. She had a nervous breakdown within 2 weeks. She quit her job. She's fine now. So what happened? You get the idea - her body made it so she could not return to the source of stress.

Your body is smarter than you. If you listened to your body, you would have moved out already - if you could figure out the best way to do it.

Good luck! :)