GUN Observations from a Federal LE trainer regarding your "typical" USPSA shooter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Mar 12, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

The subject of the relative shooting skills of your "typical" USPSA shooters is a subject that's commonly brought up at a number of competitive shooting forums I'm a member of. I thought it would be interesting to share a few of the stories to open up discussion here as it's been discussed before.

One of the guys he mentions "Yong Lee" is a competitor I shoot with every weekend and is awesome. I just didn't realize how nationally recognized he was. He's the cheif Firearms Instructor for Bellevue PD. And the instuctor that wrote this is from Roswell, NM.

I guess I dont' feel so bad now for only being a "C" shooter myself. :mamoru:

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Observation from a vetern cop and competitor on the subject.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Aother post from another veteran officer on the subject:

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Another from a federal officer:

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

One more from another veteran officer:

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I'm definitely going to get into some IDPA/USPSA as soon as I can.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

I am not drumming up an arguement of "realistic training" vs. " IPSC style training" here. This is "abolsutely" not a supplement for actual hands on training as the mindset you gain is a tool that is most important in surviving a gun fight. But I feel it would be a great addtion to more focused "defensive" shooting training you can take. So I hope this thread doesn't drift into a debate on that.

I shoot with a number of officers that are friends, so this is no slam at all to officers as my brother is one and he made the same observation, but he's not as seasoned as some of these posters.

Fact is, shooting skill is a perishable asset. And only continued practice will allow for that skill to be sharp when you have to use it. I can't think of any better motivator than "fun" aside from "necessity".

Some people struggle with forking out the $400 + dollars for a 2 day training class. So for most, the $15 match fee is the closest they can be able to afford. For that, it is at least better than nothing at all.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah, I don't know why LEO's don't participate more. :dunno:

All of last season we only had 2 LEO's attend. They shot pretty decent (middle of the pack score wise), and both said they had a good time, but they never came back. We even sent invitations to every area agency but no luck.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

This post explains most of the reasons why:

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Can you do okay in IDPA with a stock trigger?

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Our club champ shoots with a stock trigger, stock Sig, and hands peoples their asses regularly. Two months ago, he shot the entire match with his "strong hand only" and came in 6th overall.

My brother came in 5th that match, and got all happy that he finally beat our club champ, until I told him he shot the course one handed. lol poop on his parade.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My personal experience is that most police simply aren't gun people. Carrying the gun is part of the job that they accept but it isn't a recreational hobby and something that they just aren't that interested in with their spare time.

I'd sure love it if we had a group like that in the area, what better way to get in a bunch of trigger time with shooting while moving, reloading, shooting under stress, etc?

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

So you have a choice of shooting a course one handed or two handed and get more points for one handed shoots?

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I can relate to that, I am a software engineer and before I did this for living I actually kept track of latest computer hardwares. And found out how to install gadget by reading etc, but now computer is just a tool. I don't care to know how to install things myself. IT department will do that for me, people are surprised when I don't know much about hardware and I work in computer field. :mamoru:

15. sprite

sprite Active Member

Most stages are "free-style" which means however you want. Some stages will dictate strong-hand / support-hand, or will force the issue by dictating that you carry something in one hand or the other.

99.9% of the time when people have the option of using a 2 handed grip they'll do so. I'd guess the guy just felt like he needed to work on his strong-hand only shooting so decided to shoot the whole match that way.

16. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

God, I need to get into some of this stuff. Never enough time or money.

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

There are clubs all over IL. Are you anywhere near Barry? PASA Park is one of the Mecca's of USPSA.

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

Good observation. We automatically think just because he's a "cop" he's got to be a gun nut rite? Not always the case.

It's like when I tell people I work for a Telecommuncations company they ask me about phones. "shit I don't know, I'm a Sr. systems analyst man, if you want to know the latest on cell phones, go ask just about any teenager, he'll probably know more than I. " :mamoru:

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I wish I could afford even the ammo for practice. Maybe when I have a better income I will get in on this.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sadly thats about 200 miles away. There seems to be a lot of shooting in the more populated areas of the state but as far as I can tell, its slim in the more rural areas toward the south.

21. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Are there any USPSA/IPSC or IDPA specific forums? I'd like to find some more clubs if possible.

There's only one club that I can find that is within a reasonable distance from me. They only hold matches once/month, which doesn't seem like a whole lot.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

as for IDPA or USPSA specific forums, the clubs I am apart of have their own "private" forums for member only. But by far the most popular and previlant competitve shooting forum for US shooters is www.brianenos.com

Here are some links to some USPSA and IDPA clubs in Columbus, OH.

http://www.raynersrange.com/
    USPSA & some 3-gun

http://www.pcsirange.com/
    USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, NRA Action Pistol, some 3-gun

They shoot IDPA about 9 months out of the year at Big Darby.

http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/

And there is Brair Rabbit in Zanesville wherre you can pick your poison.

http://www.briarrabbit.com/

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcs_ohio.htm

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I'll tell you point blank that cops are some of the worst when it comes to firearms training. I've had little old ladies in my CCW classes that have more practice, more skill and can handle stress better than many cadets that went though the academy.