observations and things ive learned in the gym...path to my goals and success

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

i have been lifting on and off since 97. half of it was messing around, doing what i read in the magazines. then i learned recently on a personal level that everyones body is different. what works for one might not work for another. i thought id share my personal experience here with you guys since you guys have helped me out a lot.

1)mind over muscle. ive learned to concentrate a whole lot more. rather than thinking about some girl or what im goign to eat tonite, right then and there when im doing my rep i focus solely on the muscle i am working out. i picture it in my mind and i imagine the blood flowing to it. by doing this i definitely feel more of a pump and i noticed i get a better work out. i concentrate on controlling the rep rather than banging out as many as i can. sometimes thats ok for me. quality over quantity first. i make sure i squeeze at the top always.
    2)somtimes i like to go into the gym not knowing what exercises i am going to do. this keeps it fun and alive.
    3)i am now repping 290lbs on the bench!!!!! i learned that a lot of the restrictions we have are mental. i was repping 275 before and thought hey i think i can do another 15lbs and i did.
    4)when benching i step away from the bench in between sets. i picture the bench as a work zone with no bullshit. i stand in front of the fan and concentrate on my next set. when i sit back on the bench im business again. i grab the bar, stretch my back, plant my feet, grip the bar very hard and pound away at the reps. i try to apply this for all exercises.
    5)when im tired at home and i want to sleep in and push my workout to the next day i think to myself that i have one life and each day you cant take back. carpe diem. as tired and groggy as i am i know that the blood flowing will wake my ass up.
    6)i look at food as fuel. i try to enjoy eating on the weekends but weekdays i follow it strict. food is fuel.
    7)i feel confident. i feel strong. i look at those around me and notice that most of the people in this country is out of shape or really fat or just really weak. i choose not to be in that group. i consider myself in an elite organization of people who dedicate themselves to better their minds and their bodies. most people dont understand the dedication and hardwork lifting takes. it is definitely not easy. it takes determintation, dedication and consistency and intensity. i dont ask for much if all i ask is 1.5 hrs per day to be as intense as i can.

well guys, those are my two cents. i know i sound crazy.

2. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

3. gubment cheese

gubment cheese New Member

paragraphs?

but seriously, good words of encouragement.

I just printed that out and am going to post it on my fridge at home and next to my keyboard at work.

:bigthumb:

4. 2die4

2die4 New Member

Good work:bigthumb: but i dont get the part about bettering your minds:ugh: unless you mean by focusing and concentrating on the task at hand and not skipping days:bigthumb: .........:bigthumb:

5. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

This has been quite the popular topic lately. Strength is as much mental as it is physical. It is nearly impossible to activate every muscle fiber and therefore use all your possible strength. Part of increasing weight is thinking that you can do it. I have increased my bench 50lbs in the last 4 months by just believing I can do more and forcing the rep. Also, you have to be very dedicated. Instead of playing poker last night I went to the gym for an hour and then studied.

6. Confused

Confused OT Supporter

its the next Mr. Olympia in training :eek3:

7. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

sorry for the confusion. i really believe that hardcore dedication and exercise betters your mind. you nkow that saying, sound mind is a sound body and likewise. a sound body is a sound mind. one can look at it from different views.
    1)as an accomplishment. you work. you see results. you are happy and are motivated to do more work to see more results
    2)the act of lifting is mood lifting. i feel good after i lift. i feel like ive put my body to work and not leave it sedentary all day.

you know whats sad, a lot of people who are in their mid twenties are so out of shape. a lot of my friends do is drink beer and eat like shit. i dont EVER drink sunday through thursday. i leave fri and sat to have my good time. my down time. but the rest i put forth that effort. i mean it isnt that much time. we spend an hr and a half watching tv and doing nothing or on the computer. that time spent can be used in the gym. patience and consistency, itll add up. you have something to show for in the end.

lifting has gotten me through alot of hard times. when im pissed i lift. when im sad i lift. when im happy i lift. i love to lift. i love that burn, i love being able to put up more weight as time goes by. and i like to eat. if i didnt workout id be fat. plus God gave us one body to work with and i think its our duty and job to do what we can with it. i dont damage my body with excessive drugs and alcohol anymore. i eat right. no more fast food for me. i want to live as long as i can with my kids and wife. my father health was poor and he died at the age of 58. i was heart broken. he was diabetic and smoked. didnt eat right. lost a lot of weight. i see how my sisters myself and my mom are. i dont want my fmaily to go through that. plus its a great way to spend time wiht your loved ones. biking, gym time. etc.

8. pt

pt New Member

wow.. we used to have some good threads around here :dunno:

"Food as Fuel" is key IMO.

9. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

WTFbump?! Quit it.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Good work. You are doing things to reinforce your beliefs which builds a positive atmosphere for lifting. It is a method of self motivation.

11. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Holy thread necromancy.

12. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

badass thread.

placebo affect is a lot stronger than most people think. mental concentration is really fucking important.

13. shadowx

shadowx Guest

:bowdown:

Great thread.

14. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

I like number 2. I dont follow some set, strict routine :wavey:

15. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

no animal pack no care

do you have the beast in you? :rawr:

Thread Status: