GUN Obama's latest gun gaffe...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HisXLNC, Sep 6, 2008.

1. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I was going to post this in the fr0ng thread, but it's locked. :hs:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/05/obama-im-not-going-to-take-your-guns-away/#comment-196821

Obama: ‘I’m Not Going to Take Your Guns Away’

Christopher Cooper reports from Duryea, Pa., on the presidential race.

The Obama campaign talks a lot about new ideas and expanding the political map, but in the swing state of Pennsylvania, which the campaign has focused on almost exclusively since the Democratic convention, old-school issues still rise to the fore.

The latest example came Friday during a small political event at SCHOTT North America Inc., a glass factory in Duryea, Pa., where even a hand-picked crowd threw Barack Obama a curve ball.

A woman in the crowd told Obama she had “heard a rumor” that he might be planning some sort of gun ban upon being elected president. Obama trotted out his standard policy stance, that he had a deep respect for the “traditions of gun ownership” but favored measures in big cities to keep guns out of the hands of “gang bangers and drug dealers’’ in big cities “who already have them and are shooting people.”

“If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it,’’ Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.

So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

so he DOES want to take them away.. he just wants everyone to think that he wouldn't be able to.

3. Jake!

Jake! Guest

tell us something we don't already know :(

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Fuck him, the 2nd doesn't have shit to do with hunting.

5. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The video of his townhall meeting is on Youtube, with the part about guns conveniently cut out.

[y]L31go6-LAs0[/y]

6. ImAcracker

ImAcracker Fuck Censorship of any kind.

Why doesnt any one ever call out a politician on why the founding fathers wanted us to have guns in the first place?

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

He doesnt want to "take them away" but he will make it so you cant buy any more. IE, AWB with a grandfather clause.

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

9. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

10. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

That's why you gotta buy everything right NOW. He may not take them away from you but he sure as hell is going to make it harder to purchase one or ammo.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

On Oct 4-5 i'm going to the gun show for the first time. Anything in particular I need to snatch up?

12. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

AR lower

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Because it sounds paranoid, weird, and anachronistic in today's consumer-driven society. Statistically, you can generally assume that life will be pretty orderly and go as planned with death from factors other than belligerent human-on-human violence being the way that nearly everyone dies. As much as we love our fictional movie/TV/game ultra-violence, society has grown so averse to real-world violence that kids are damn-near tossed in the klink for routine fistacuffs. There's also general complacency and lack of willingness to even symbolically roll up one's sleeves and otherwise work to keep government in check.

CDNN loves that kind of paranoia. Just when magazine prices had dropped after the last big hysteria when HR 1022 was getting all sorts of attention...

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AR, AK, lots of high cap mags.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Executive Orders, Clinton's EO is what bars chinese guns and ammo from being imported.

16. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

bah, I had a talk with my brother about Obama and his stance on guns. for my brother being an atheist and a logical thinker it doesn't move over to guns and gun violence. he asked what Obama would do and I told him that Obama wanted to make the AWB permanent. He didn't believe it and he asked if I had plans to purchase one and I said, well I plan on moving right into something FA and a couple suppressors with a 25k USAA loan as an "invesment" He asked why I need one and I asked why having a need matters. We then got back onto the AWB and gun control and he thinks that guns are the problem. I told him that many of the cities with high levels of gun violence have the strictest gun laws. He talked about foreign nations and their crime rates and I brought up Japan, England and Switzerland to show that it's the culture and society that causes the problem. I told him that when the AWB was passed you were 16 times more likely to be beaten to death and that AWs were used in less than 2% of murders. He then said that many of those were probably when somebody walked into a McDonalds and shot 30 people. I asked what the hell he was talking about at that point.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Again; what did he say:

"I'm not going to take them away"

Of course not, that would've been a feat even for the Clintons.

What didn't he say:
    "I'm not going to ban/tax/restrict ownership into oblivion."

18. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Yes Obama, I KNOW you aren't taking my guns away. I'll have a boating accident or a rash of "craiglist sales" long before that happens.

Do you actually read the stuff you post?

Just having a stash of lowers wouldn't technically help you if a ban were all of the sudden passed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  19. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

A democrat will never say that.

Sarah Palin might if they ever let her speak.

20. FluffNugget

FluffNugget aww Baby Zero aww OT Supporter

unfortunately guns are the only thing she is unwilling to ban.

21. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

there are periods. it just flows so damn good without stopping...

I didn't proof read that one, and it does seem to be across the board in spots, I guess it could use a little work...

FIXED:
    I had a talk with my brother about Obamas stance on guns. My brother is an atheist and a mna of science. He is usually logical in his decision making and judgement but it doesn't carry over to his thoughts on guns and gun violence. He asked me what I didn't like about Obama's position on guns. I told him that I didn't like that Obama wanted to make the AWB permanent. He thought I was making shit up and asked where i found it and I told him that it's on a bunch of websites and it's come out of his mouth a few times. He asked if I was looking to own an assault weapon and I told him I was lookinginto a 25k loan around the time I turn 21 and that I'm planning on buying something with a happy switch and maybe a suppressor or two. He asked why I needed one. I asked why having a need mattered. After that we talked about the AWB again and he talked about how the statistics showed that the ban worked and how stricter gun laws make less gun crime. I pointed out that the cities with the strictest laws have the highest crime rates. He then talked about European nations and how they have such low crime rates. I talked about Japan, England, and Switzerland to show that the different societies and cultures are responsible for crime and not guns. He still thought that AWs were dangerous and said so. I told him that in 1994 people were sixteen times more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed by an AW. I also said that less than 2% of crimes were committed with an AW the year before the ban took place. He said that of that 2% it was a situation similar to when a person would walk into a McDonalds and shoot like 30 people. At that point I asked him what the hell he was talking about.

more periods and more spaces should make you happy.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  22. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

“This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’

Read the article you nutjobs.

23. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

We all know that's bullshit though. He's wants a new assault weapons ban. He also wants to raise taxes on guns and ammunition by up to 500%. He wants to end concealed carry. There isn't a single pro-gun plank in his platform.

He's basically going to make guns useless or incredibly expensive. That's confiscation through attrition.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Right, because politicians never lie.

Plus, even if he's not lying, the mere fact that he said he's not going to "take them away" means that he's probably going to make purchases more difficult, ban certain types of weapons from purchase, restrict features, etc.

25. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

everything evil and scary looking.