Oakley Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Yoshiemaster, May 19, 2009.

1. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

I've never really owned a pair of good sunglasses, I've just shopped for a pair of $2 cheapos at the gas station if I've ever really needed a pair for an occasion. I'm going to be doing a lot of driving this summer and football season is coming up in the fall, so I'm looking to get a good pair of sunglasses.

A couple friends of mine have a pair of Oakleys and I've tried them on here and there and I'm really happy with them in general. This past weekend I went to the mall and tried on a number of pairs to see which style I liked, and I grew really fond of the Straight Jackets. Money isn't too big an issue for me on this matter (I'm buying these glasses as a gift to myself, I think I deserve a little more ;)) so i want to make sure i get a pair that's "all me." I decided to custom make a pair online, and this is what i came up with.

[​IMG]

I guess what i'm looking for in this thread are reviews from people who have bought from Oakley, and hopefully more specifically a pair of Straight Jackets. Also feel free to propose a different design if you want by clicking on the link (i'm pretty set on the way i have it now, but i may decide to change it up if you guys come up with something better). http://oakley.com/custom/straightjacket

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. poisonivvy

poisonivvy New Member

I've had mine for 3 years. Still love them. They've made it through 3 triathlons, several vacation beach trips, and day to day usage. Mine have scratches and the oakley symbols have peeled off, but they still work just fine. I know they are long past their trendy stage...but anything that protects my eyes from long term sun exposure and are comfy beats style and trends any day.

First pair I had broke right after the 1 year manufacturer warranty though--sucked but that was just life.

My mom hates wearing sunglasses. Once I introduced her to Oakleys and how they are decently comfortable and don't slip off your face when moving around she decided she could protect her eyes.

3. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

How did the pair break after the 1 year warranty? I've read about Oakleys cracking because they're too brittle, usually because they're kept in the car year round. Does that sound like what happened to you or was it because of something else?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

They're fine, but overpriced and very 1990s.

Its worth it if you want a pair of sunglassses for some outdoorsy activity (like hiking, rafting, etc) but I don't know if I would wear Oakleys just going out and stuff.

5. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

I'm with you on the overpriced welsh, but I don't see how they're out of style. What brand do you think is "in" these days if it isn't Oakley?

6. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i think they are ok for playing beach volleyball in. thats about it.

7. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

i have gascans, too bulky and heavy for me. started using maui jims and i keep forgetting i'm wearing them. whichever you choose to get, get polarized lenses.

8. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

I have these.

[​IMG]

and these

[​IMG]

9. everlong

everlong nice crew

Agreed. They just look plain stupid if you are just going to walk around with them.

10. steezebag

steezebag New Member

frogskins are cool. Other than that i prob wouldn't rock a pair of oakleys unless i was hiking/mountain biking/being extreme

11. Gomer

Gomer New Member

QFT.

PUT ON YER GNARLY BOOTS COZ WE'RE BOUT TO GET EXXXTREEEEME.

12. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

kop a nice pair of kaenons or tom fords

13. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I love my Juliets and Whiskers but find that I'm wearing my casual sunglasses with gradient lenses more often.

14. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

Oakleys are not overpriced. They are very well manufactured and QUALITY. While personally I prefer brands like Prada and D&G, the oakleys are actually made by the same company as those and are great. The uv protection is built into the lens so its not going to come off like it would with your $2 cheapo drug store sunglasses. Also, I would recommend you consider polarized if you're going to be driving. Yes the price will be higher but the functionality is worth the price if you can shell it out somehow. If you need any help let me know....Most oakleys you can replace most parts so if you do happen to scratch or break it, its not going to be that much of a hassle. Just go to your local sunglass hut

Check out the oil rigs or flak jackets if you havent yet

15. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

16. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

^^ thanks, i also meant to ask about polarized vs non polarized.

Almost everything i've read about polarized glasses mentions fishing, and sometimes driving. I don't fish so i don't care about that, but do polarized glasses REALLY help out when driving?

17. steezebag

steezebag New Member

I learned how to drop in today on like a 7 foot quarter :bowdown:. Fuu skateboarding is so fun / hard :hs:

18. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

If you're set on oakleys, try the frogskins like steezbag said.

[​IMG]

19. Deckard

Deckard New Member

:werd: They're not for everyone/every face type, but if they look good on you, they look GOOD on you. I've had about 4 or 5 pairs over the years, and they're pretty durable (I've only had one pair break on me because I left them in my tennis bag all afternoon in ~100 degree heat, they just came apart when I took them out), and I've never had any lenses/ear socks/nose pieces/other trim pieces pop out or break, so they're usually quite well made, or at least they were in the past.
    The pair I'm wearing right now has been amazing for the last 4 years or so, but it's from the magnesium line which they haven't made in years. I probably wouldn't buy anything they make now (I think they're too ubiquitous and the design has gone downhill a bit), but for sports, I've always loved them. For general style/going out, I'd probably look more towards Persol/Mosley Tribes, but if you just want to keep the sun out of your eyes, Oakleys will get the job done.

20. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

Yeah I would recommend the polarized if you do any sort of outdoor activities (including driving). You're not gonna get blinded by the sun or reflections off of cars, snow, windows, etc.

If you have a sunglass hut near you buy from them becuase they offer a 90 day hassle free return policy. Try out the polarized, if you don't think they're for you then just take em back and get the regular ones at a bit of a cheaper cost :)

21. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

Excellent, that's exactly what i was planning to do. Thanks for the help everyone.

:wiggle:

22. kEVOgt350

kEVOgt350 Like a flashlight on but lost, my energy's there b

I bought a pair of Antix for active/daily wear. I typically don't like Oakleys, but these caught my attention.
    I'd prefer the frames to curve down in back instead of straight, but for only 90 bucks I've been quite satisfied.

[​IMG]

23. Original

Original OT Supporter

surprised about all the people who like polarized. i wore a pair of oakley polarized once and felt it wasn't worth the $50+.. let alone $10 more.. and we were wakeboarding. if you can afford them, awesome, but i wouldn't go out of my way to get polarized :dunno:

i have gascan s's.. i love em but they're too common these days. sunglasses are sunglasses.. the only sweet thing about oaks is they last forever :hs:

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  24. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

[​IMG]

oakleys are terrible

25. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

yea i've heard a lot of mixed opinions on polarized vs. non-polar so i'm going to go pick up a pair of polarized straight jackets here in a couple days and see if they're right for me. If not i'll just return them for a regular pair and pocket the 80 bucks.

When i was trying on different pairs at the sunglass hut last week i noticed that some models really "stood out" on my face and looked obnoxious. these straight jackets flowed pretty well though with my head shape etc so i think i won't look too goofy wearing these around every day.