A&P Ny nightmare.........UDMA CF cards.....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, May 22, 2008.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I just scored a killer deal on a PNY Pro UDMA CF card (2GB, 266x) at Staples (I got it for $29). So I figured what the hell, and picked it up. I didn't know much about UDMA, but I knew I had to have a CF reader capable of UDMA. So I ordered the reader, which NO retail stores had in stock locally (including Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, and 5 camera stores).

So I went to on a trip to a race, in which I was taking pictures. I filled the 2GB card up in about 3 hours of shooting, so I switched to a regular CF card for the remainder of the weekend. I got home, opened my new UDMA reader......and first ripped the pics off of my regular CF card. After they were done, I put the UDMA card in the reader. Nothing. I know the reader works, since I read out the other CF card. I tried a different USB port. Nothing. Then I took it out of my desktop, and plugged it into the brand new desktop in the spare bedroom. Nothing.

After taking the card out of the reader, I found the reader and the card itself were almost too hot to touch. :squint: I let it cool down, and threw the card back into my 30D. Nothing. :ugh: So here I am, out of 2gig of pics......with a card that is a week old. I called PNY and left a voicemail, and can only wait for their return call tomorrow.

cliffs- maybe I am just a tard, but fuck UDMA

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Id personally say fuck PNY before I say fuck UDMA but thats just me.

3. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

PNY should've been the flag to not buy here. :o

4. Frank N. Beans

I know PNY isn't the best by far........but for the price and it being a UDMA, I figured what is there to lose. Apparently 400+ fucking pictures. :hsd:

5. nine

nine OT Supporter

why not stick with the tried and true?

6. Frank N. Beans

I purchased a regular PNY card about 2 years ago, and have had zero problems. However, I can't use UltraII cards in my 30D. I purchased a new 2GB UltraII from Costco a year or two ago, only to find I would lose between 20-80% of the pictures I took. :ugh: I reformatted with the camera AND computer, and did everything their tech support told me to do. After no success, I returned the card for another new at Costco, to which I had the same problems. I tried another 2GB UltraII from a friend, with the same results.

The same day I bought this PNY Pro UDMA card, I bought a 4GB UltraII card for $35 at Staples. I've been afraid to put it in the camera. :hsd:

7. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I used UltraII's in my 20, 30, and 40D without a problem. 1GB and 2GB. Try reinstalling your firmware maybe?

8. Frank N. Beans

I've never updated the firmware.......in this 30D or my 300D when I had it. It'd be worth a try though......any other benefits or drawbacks to that?

9. nine

nine OT Supporter

i'm sure the 30d is old enough that there shouldn't be any problems with current firmware

10. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

5D just got updated firmware.

11. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Also, Im not saying that may need an update as much as it may just need a reinstall.

However, there are no drawbacks to installing newer firmware. All new firmware does is fix problems that older firmware had. Whats the firmware version your 30D currently has?

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

hot? its usually pretty rare that a fault heats it up like that. any bent pins etc? any chance the card could go in upside down (it shouldnt)..

and yeah, pny.

14. Frank N. Beans

Pins are straight, card was installed correctly. In fact, the card and reader both get hot to the touch. Also take into consideration that when I insert the non-UDMA card, it reads perfectly......and the temperature of the card/reader with the non-UDMA card is room temperature.

This UDMA card has gotten so hot, the white sticker on the bottom side has turned brown over 90% of the decal. Also, the decal on the top of the card can slide right off.....if you tried. :hs:

15. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

How long did you leave it in the USB slot? Shouldn't heat up that hot that quickly....

16. Frank N. Beans

Heated up in about 2-3 minutes.........and that was on 2 different computers (one 4-5 years old, one less than a year old). Both computers also read a regular CF card fine.....no high temperature problems.

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member