Nvidia Crew: Simple Which is better question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by droopz, Jul 10, 2006.

1. droopz

droopz New Member

Just looking at a video card upgrade, and wanted to know what would be a better buy out of these few cards.

BFG GF7900GTGTX OC 512M DDR3 PCI-E-DUAL DVI TVO(overclocked) $1050AUD

Leadtek WinFast PX7950GX2 TDH 1GB DDR3 Dual DVI SLi 2xGPUs PCI E $900AUD

XFX GeForce 7950GX2 1GB DDR3 Dual DVI SLi 2xGPUs PCI-E(PV-T71U-ZDF9)Extreme Edition $1040AUD

Ive been 'out of it' for so long I havnt kept up with what brands are the go ATM.

Are games really using up to 1GB of vid card memroy now?

Cheers :bowdown:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no game will use 1GB memory... using 512MB is challenging, and only possible at insane resolutions. Of the three, I would NEVER consider a leadtek. shit of the shit, really.

BFGTech is the best brand, but XFX is #2 for me, and that card is killer. I'd prolly say XFX.

3. Hartman

Hartman New Member

4. droopz

droopz New Member

Ive just been reading up on the XFX and wanted to make sure I was understanding it right. Even though it is a 'single' card design, because of the Dual GPU setup it still needs to run in SLi mode. So I encountert the same issues with game compatability and multi monitor support that all SLi setups face.

Is that right?

5. droopz

droopz New Member

Thanks mate. In light of this new info I think I might just go for the BFG 7900GTXOC and give SLi the arse. I currently have 2 6600GTs in SLi and constantly having to switch between single and SLi for my projector and multi monitor setups is pissing me off.

On another note, how long would I have to wait for the DX10 gear to start showing up?

Thanks everyone.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:
    I can remember back in the days of Quake2 they said no game will ever need more than 16MB for the video card or 128MB for the system.

YES, games some day will need/require 1GB of video RAM.

Never say never, the biggest rule with computers and gaming, never say never.
    A friend once said the they will never have recordable CD drives, and now we have recordable Blu-ray drives that hold, what around 35 times the amount that an avgerage CD holds. So never say never.

As for which card to get, I'd have to go with the XFX as well.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What he meant is that, by the time games need 1GB of video memory, their graphics-processing needs will be far beyond what current video cards can provide. That means you'd be buying more memory than you could ever possibly use WITH THAT PARTICULAR CARD.

Of course games will eventually need 1GB of video memory, just like applications eventually needed more than 128MB of RAM. But by the time those programs existed, the Pentium 1 that I had loaded up with 128MB of RAM was so outdated that it took ten minutes just to boot the OS, to say nothing of actually using any programs.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Um, I mean that no game currently will use 1gb of vram....

9. droopz

droopz New Member

If someone can tell me how to use multiput monitors on the XFX while its in its SLi mode with itself I'd grab it.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I bet the USER MANUAL can tell you how to do it... :hsugh: