Nvidia 81.94 driver question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dim, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Dim

Dim I'm Lost, Help Me OT Supporter

These are the new drivers for laptops with a 7800 gc. Any reason why dell is not listed under supported computers? I just got a e1705 and would really like to crank the card up to where it should be (battery life is not an issue). Thanx
    ~matt

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

7800GC??!!??

Do the drivers work? If so, then what's the problem.
    If not, have you tried the 82.12 BETA drivers?

3. Dim

By gc i meant graphics card. It works fine, but i was told that they underclock them in the laptops to save battery life and that the nvidia driver would undoo this.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Well yes they can. There should be an option in the Forceware control panel (Display properties->Settings->Advanced->nVidia) called Clock Frequency Settings. You can change just the 3D or the 2D speeds or both.
    But using Rivatuner or ATITool 0.25 would be better. And yes I know how odd it sounds to use a program called ATITool on a nVidia card, but that version does work and it's very nice and makes it easier to find the max core and memory speeds.

Rivatuner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163
    ATITool: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ note there are 2 different ones on the page; 0.24 and 0.25 ony the 0.25 supports nVidia cards.

5. Dim

Awsome, thanks for the help
    Stock settings are 250 core and 658 memory, anyone with experience in laptops know how much over i can go without overheating it, that's my main worry, it's not like a desktop where I can just add fans

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006