Nutrition facts for sushi

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by WyldKat, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I've only been able to find a good calorie breakdown for sushi, not anything that showed the fat and protein and all that jazz. Overall it seems like you can eat a nice portion of it without having too many calories, and I've read that wasabi is also pretty healthy for you.

Anyways....any sushi people got a good link?

2. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I have wondered this also. I assume it depends on the roll and can vary from place to place.

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Fitday has some, itrainharder has much more choice though.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Its really going to depend on the place, IMO. the all-u-can-eat place near me has pretty big pieces of fish and a good sized rice ball under it.

It also depends on the amount of soy sauce you're using, too

5. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Yeah, that's true.

I tend to not care for the uber saltyness of soy sauce and go for wasabi, as well as small rolls.

6. nosnikliw0

nosnikliw0 I am the cheese.

Avoid anything with tempura in the name or description and you should be good to go. Have you tried asking a local sushi bar for nutrition info? I'm pretty sure they are required to show you.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Sashimi is not that bad, but white rice is pretty bad calorie-wise since the stickier the rice, the more calories it has.

8. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

lets see the calorie break downs pls.

9. Dongsy Normus

Dongsy Normus fag

no theyre not

10. xela

xela So say we all!

I always get my sushi with brown rice. Sooo much better for you!

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I should try that, I make my own sushi. But it's so fucking good this way !
    After checking, the difference doesn't seem as big as I though. White rice (non-sushi type) even seems to have less cals than brown rice.

12. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

the sushi that comes in like an 8 pack at trader joes has a macronutrient breakdown.

can't remember what it was though.

13. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

Sashimi plus a bowl of rice FTW. You can' get any more natural and wholesome then cuts of raw tuna, yellowtail and salmon.

Sushi rolls with cream cheese, fried shrimp, etc were created to satisfy americans obese way of life :ugh: Stay away from those!!!

Granted the sushi-grade rice may not be the best, but it's a lot better alternative then most restaurant foods out there. For me, it's must with sashimi.

Here's nutri info for sushi rice using short grain rice:
    Nutritional information(per 1/4 cup): 92 calories, 1.3 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrates, 0.1 grams fat, 0.01 percent calories from fat, no cholesterol, 648 milligrams sodium

14. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

escolar tataki ftw!

15. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

This carb cycling shit is killing my sushi intake. I don't really care for the americanized shit either.

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Why no sugar in there? We do put sugar in the rice vinegar (which is mixed in with the rice), LOTS of sugar.

17. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

What do you think about this way of cooking brown rice? Supposed to be better then cooking it the conventional way.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New GABA Brown Rice Cycle:[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a nutrient in brown rice that [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]researchers say lowers blood pressure and relieves stress. [/FONT]The Zojirushi NH-VBC rice cooker offers a special cycle that activates the GABA in brown rice, increasing it to 150% of the level in nonactivated rice. This special cycle [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]keeps the rice at about 104[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]°[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] F. for about 2 hours. Total GABA-cycle time is about 3 hours to 3 hours and 40 minutes, and [/SIZE][/FONT]along with increasing the GABA level, it also makes brown rice softer.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/induction_rice_cooker.asp
    http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/how_and_chart/rice_dictionary.html
    [/SIZE]

18. MyLittleAirport

Nigiri with brown rice? wtf... now I've heard it all, just go with sashimi if you wanna go the healthy route.

19. xela

xela So say we all!

I like it and it's more filling than sashimi.

20. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

chirashi > sashimi

21. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

i think timber said he goes to a sushi place on a cheat day, you should ask him.

22. MyLittleAirport

I don't know how much you eat at sushi places but honestly, the amount of rice we put into each roll is maybe the size of a racquetball or less. And as for the nigiri, maybe the size of half my thumb. What I'm trying to say is that while you are trying to go the healthy route by going with brown rice, I'm pretty sure the amount of regular rice in the sushi isn't that huge of a difference as in terms of nutrition.

Though we don't serve brown rice at our restaurant, I'm pretty sure they still mix the rice vinegar (that's mixed with a shitload of sugar and salt, I make it every now and then so I know) with the brown rice to give it the flavor and right texture so you're still getting the same amount of sodium and sugar as the white rice.

And if you're going to pay that much money for something that good, might as well indulge a little bit cause hell man, you're paying a shitload!

23. xela

xela So say we all!

Yeah, and if I really wanted to "fill up" I could always get sashimi with a side of rice instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.