Nutrition.Edu???

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ucsblaw, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucsblaw

ucsblaw OT Supporter

So I've been reading up on the nutrition sticky provided by Andrew and I'm lost on a few things regarding "Nutrient Timing"

I'm really new to this stuff and I'm trying to learn...so if you all could help out it would be great.

Under Nutrient Timing I don't understand what I should be consuming pre and post workout. Based on the info provided I would need ~46 grams of protein and 46 grams of carbs 60-90 mins PreWO and then again 20-0 mins PreWO...i just dont get it. My TBW is 185lbs.

Also, Post WO, I would need 46g of protein and 92 grams of carbs....????????

What am i doing wrong here?

INFO From Nutrition.EDU Sticky

Thanks in advance

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Eat some protein and carbs before you lift, and eat some protein and carbs after you lift. Not much to it man

3. ucsblaw

ucsblaw OT Supporter

understandable...but then what's with all the .25g/lb TBW stuff on the sticky? I mean, what do you mean by some? I've had a horrible diet all my life and i'm really trying to get my shit together.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

This is nitpicking. Unless you're OCD, have an eating disorder and HAVE to find a way to eat or contest dieting, I don't think anyway should stick to that. There's more to life than calorie counting.

5. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Just to clarify for him - Is it fair to say these are guidelines and principles, rather than hard and fast requirements that should be slavishly obeyed?

To OP - are you trying to lose, gain or maintain?

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

7. ucsblaw

ucsblaw OT Supporter

thanks for the input people...I'm trying to lose about 15lbs of fat and gain muscle. I have alot of flab i'd like to get rid of. I'm 6ft 200lbs but I have alot of flab around my belly. I just want to make this a lifestyle change not just a quick fix so i'm really trying to get things right.

I was just confused with how large of a meal i should have before and after a workout.

BTW, is PWO pre or post workout? (total noob question)

8. MP18

MP18 New Member

PWO is post workout

9. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to where I am. I think the first step is to realize this is a lifestyle change and that this will take time. Patience. Think about how long it took your body to get into bad shape. You can't reverse years of even mild neglect in a few weeks. It'll take time and dedication.

I think the key to the post workout meal is that you want something that has a high enough concentration of carbs to help replenish glycogen stores in your muscles while still giving your body enough protein to begin repairing the damage you've done. If you are near/around the suggested macronutrient breakdowns in the EDU you'll be fine.

If you work your ass of in the gym with high, high intensity and eat even reasonably well, you'll do great.

10. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

For one whole month I only ate .24 protein and .26 carbs. Oh man did I turn into a fattie.

Unless you are doing this for a living do not worry so much. Have a protein shake and a glass of gatorade after working out.

11. ucsblaw

ucsblaw OT Supporter

:rofl: thanks everyone! time to hit the gym

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.