GUN Number 1 buck for HD?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Some doofus at Wally World sold me 2 boxes of 00 and 3 boxes of #1 buck. As partial as I am to 20 pellets of 7.62mm.. ("Seven point six two millimeter.. Full.. Metal.. Jacket.., Joker.. [/Pyle]) I haven't really heard anything about #1 vs 0 or 00.

Comments/opinions/death threats welcome.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

For HD shotgun ammo I think #1 is the best performer ballistically, but I use #0 because I can get it in low recoil for faster follow ups. If I could get low recoil #1 or use them both at the same speed I'd use #1.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

#1 will be fine.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I prefer #1 buckshot over 00 or 0. you still get the depth of penetration needed with more pellets so more internal damage.

5. Thunderbear

Was hoping you'd weigh in on this..

Box of truth results put penetration by number 1 buck equal to penetration by number 4 buck, which doesn't seem to make any sense. A hit by 25 or so .22 caliber projectiles would seem to be less effective than a hit by 20 .30 cal balls. Heavier projectiles retain more kinetic energy than lighter, correct?

I'm aware of the variables in his experiments, and the grain of salt to take 'em with, I just thought it was odd.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

yes but shotguns are in a world all their own in that you have multiple projectiles hitting at the same time and depending on distance, in a close impact zone. Think like frangible, as the pellets hit, they tend to ricochet off each other and bone in a body but unlike birdshot and frangible pistol ammo, buckshot gets the penetration needed as well, birdshot doesn't.

As for box of truth, he uses water jugs instead of ballistics gel. The #1 does better than the #4. It's a give and take though, the higher the rating, the bigger the pellets, the deeper the penetration but the lower the number of. Reason I like #1 is it's right in the middle between penetration and number of pellets to do the damage.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

how is it the guy at wal marts fault if you got the wrong stuff? Every time I've bought ammo there they've asked me if I wanted to inspect it before I bought it since there are no returns.

8. Thunderbear

It's not, really, I should have checked all five boxes instead of the two he handed me, but still..

me: double aught buck, 2 3/4 mag, 12 gauge

I don't think I could have gotten more specific, except maybe by brand.

9. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I use 2 3/4" 00 buckshot in my 500. I was doing some reading on HD shotshell loads and came upon this: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm. It states:
    So I was thinking that maybe I should keep a #4 or a #1 in the chamber, just in case I miss the first shot (highly unlikely) it won't over penetrate too much, then if needed, I could follow up with a 00 round. What do you guys think? As for now, I'll keep my 500 loaded with alternating 00buck and slugs as I always have.