MIL NROTC and Marijuana

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fighter_Pilot, May 26, 2008.

1. Fighter_Pilot

Fighter_Pilot New Member

So I want to join NROTC in college, but one of the questions is if I have done any drugs, how many times and the full circumstances of it. now I've smoked pot about 5 times and the last time was about 6 months ago about the time I got arrested for it. I have completely stopped and find absolutely no need or want for it anymore, my commitment is towards NROTC. I realize I must say that I have been arrested before, but if I tell them I have smoked will it take me down a peg with every officer in the NROTC program or ruin my chances of becoming a fighter pilot in the future.

I realize most of you are going to say stupid remarks saying how I'm a fucking retard and why i should even ask this question. But I wanna say thanks in advance to anyone that actually is willing to help.

(And also the only reason I want to say no for doing drugs is because when I was arrested for it, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people and wasn't even smoking that night. This was after the time I decided I was done with weed. So when I went to court for my possession charge, I was tested their and it came up negative.)

2. Fighter_Pilot

Fighter_Pilot New Member

Absolutely true. Thats why I plan to tell the truth, but if it diminishes my chances of becoming a pilot I will be crushed.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Let me get this straight, you have been convicted for drug possession and tested positive for drug usage by a court of law, and you want to lie about it on your NROTC application? You sound like a quality applicant.

Shouldn't your username be wannabe_fighter_pilot?

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

As long as you tell them, they won't care.

I have a buddy that used to smoke pot all the time, he's an F-15 pilot now. Just be honest.

<--- Jealous :(

5. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

telling the truth may disqualify you, and if you lie and get caught that can end you career real quick. If you were serious about your flying and military career then maybe you should not have smoked, and the fact that you were arrested for illegal drugs well.....I think you should have made better choices. Remember flying is insanely competitive, and that makes you a lot less competitive.

or nevergonnabe

6. Asherman

Asherman New Member

What do we want in an officer, especially one that may end up flying a machine worth millions of dollars and having the capacity to kill in an eyeblink thousands?

We want the very highest degree of integrity. Direct, straight-up honest regardless of what the consequences of that might be. There is no room for lying, or "spin" when countless others are depending upon one another to do the right thing under great stress. The core character of a person might be hidden during tranquil times, but when the chips are down and people's lives are on the line, nothing short of absolute reliability is acceptable. When a soldier makes a report, his superiors and his mates must be able to absolutely accept that as "fact"... not supposition, or some sugar coated version of things. Honor is hard won, and easily lost, so we have to guard it like the precious treasure it is. You can not lie. You can not cheat, or cut corners.

We value courage, and to evade the consequences of our failures by denying them is cowardice. If a person can't face the consequences of owning up to minor drug use in civilian life, who likely is it that the same person will fail to measure up when in Harm's Way? Would you want such a person guarding your flanks when people are trying their best to kill you?

We want responsible people who can be entrusted with the lives of others and expensive weapons that are extremely lethal. That means people who carefully weigh the cost/benefits of their thoughts, words and actions. The military depends upon discipline as its primary means of gaining victory at the minimal cost in lives and material. Discipline begins with the individual who is able to suppress his own emotions, desires, and behavior for the sake of group uniformity. To lie, or evade, is to place the "self" above the organization, and is counterproductive to fundamental discipline.

Whether you ever become an officer, or fly any military aircraft, is ultimately less important than what you make of yourself as a man. Who are you really? Do you have strength of character? What values do you cherish most? What matters most to you... you, or the success of whatever group you are a part of? Are you a loner, or a team player? Do you have what it takes to be responsible for the lives of your team, and beyond them for the lives of countless others who will be affected by your actions?

7. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

honestly, you probably won't even be allowed to contract. If its anything like Army ROTC, you won't. We had an outstanding cadet get turned down on a waiver for a drug possession arrest that had happened years before, and he was turned down. I would be shocked if you were allowed to contract with an arrest just 6 months before. No fucking way.

8. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

A few times like that wont affect you, just be honest.

I know many people that were similar and have TS

9. Fighter_Pilot

Fighter_Pilot New Member

Just an added edit. I was a youthful offender when this happened I was told by one of my friends (Marine bound and was also arrested for doing a burnout) that if you were arrested as a youthful offender than you don't need to say yes to being arrested. But I would not be surprised if thats not true.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Tell the truth. Every time I enlisted/re-enlisted I put down my prior pot smokage. If you lie, when they do your background check for your security clearance they will find your arrest record and you will lose everything you ever hoped to get. And it doesn't matter if you were a youthful offender or not. Were you ever arrested? Yes. Have you ever taken illegal drugs? Yes. Have you ever tested positive for drug use? Yes.

Just tell the truth. Your security clearance hinges on a lot of things, but right up there at the top is your ability to TELL THE TRUTH when a lie would be easier.

11. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

:uh:
    the question is, have you ever been arrested? Not have you ever been arrested as a adult?

12. Fighter_Pilot

Fighter_Pilot New Member

Alright. Thanks for the help guys. sent in forms today. No lies.

13. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

good move, lying is never a good move in the military (you know ,the whole values thing), unless you want something nasty to happen

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

qft

15. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

nope. They will want to know your entire police involvement down the the most minor traffic violation even if you took a class so it wasn't reported to insurance or if it was expunged from your record. If and when they do a background check they will find out more about you than you even knew about yourself. If you lie about something that is on your juvi record they will find out about it...

16. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

they do federal background checks that goes past sealed juvenile records. so when they ask if you've ever been arrested, it has to be yes.

the possession charge was a conviction? was is it a misdemeanor? felonies will automatically disqualify you. we really can't tell you what you'll be able to fly 5-10 years down the road. that's based on the decision on a lot more people our of our pay grade. just keep your head up, be honest, and do the best you can.