GUN NRA Training Courses

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seismic, Jul 29, 2009.

1. seismic

seismic New Member

Coming up in a little over a week (08/08/09) there is a NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course being offered at the Kenmore range in Bothell, WA. There is a Home Firearm Safety course also being offered on 08/01/09 at the Puyallup Fairgrounds.

Have any of you guys ever taken either of these courses? I'm wondering if taking the basic pistol shooting course will teach me the same things as the home firearm safety course. I don't mind going to each, as the pistol shooting one is $50 and the home safety course is $8 or $15 depending on when I go. I don't want to waste my time at the home firearm course if I can learn the same things during the shooting course.

EDIT: I spoke to one of the range guys at the place where this is held. For anybody that's interested: he said that the Basic Shooting class is structured around learning to shoot. It's not as safety oriented as the Home Firearm class. The Home class, though, is structured to teach kids about safety. It's kind of a thing where parents would take their older kids, according to him.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Hey Seismic,
    August 30th our club will be hosting a CCW training and practice. They will cover the basic gun handling, defensive shooting training. We will set up basic course of fires simulations. The training class is geared towards new/intermediate shooters that would like dynamic practice/training.

The NRA Instructors have asked me to assist in training the class and to cover some advance movement, drawing from concelement technique with the students. I will have both live fire and dry fire drills you can do at home. The important thing about getting "into" shooting is learning proper technique and not to pick up any bad habits.

The training course is free. We will BBQ some hot dogs, and have refreshments.

3. seismic

seismic New Member

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Just as a response so others here that may be interested can join as well. Come one come all. You will need a gun and holster. A mag pouch would also be recommended if you have one, if not, no big deal. And about 100 rounds of ammo. You will be allowed to shoot the scenario stages as often as we can fit into in one day, but will be dictated based on how many students we have. The last class we had 30- 40 people attend

If you are lacking any gear, let me know, I think I have a couple of things around here to help you out if need be, as long as it makes it back to me by the end of the class.

5. AB, You guys should do the same thing, but focused on rifles!

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, that would be cool, but It probably would not be free if we had to bring in competent rifle experts. I'm more of a handgun shooter. There's more interest with this course with the influx of new handgun owners and CCW'ers out here that would like to practice in a more dynamic setting and practicing with their actual CCW guns. It will also serve as a competitve shooting primer which is purpose of my involvement.

7. I understand on all counts. :hs: Rifle would just be a ton of fun. :)

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Hey, come down and bring your rifle. I'm sure I can find a bay for you to shoot in. Hang out with Seismic and I and have a hot dog or two.

9. How many bays are you guys going to be using for the CCW thing?

EDIT: I actually have a CQB rifle class the 29th and 30th. Otherwise, I'd come down.

10. seismic

seismic New Member

Well, I'm not doing the NRA Pistol class on the 8th. Kenmore is filled up. The guy on the phone was actually a bit of a dick about it, IMO. Might just be his personality, but after reading a couple negative reviews online about the range, I think that I probably won't go shoot there...

AB - is your class beneficial for absolute beginners, or would someone who has almost no experience (my wife) do another intro class before something like this?

What about for more experienced shooters? One of my friends has been in some matches and was looking for something for more advanced shooters. Would this class be beneficial to him?

Are there any restrictions on what types of pistols are used?

I told a few people about it, and I think my Dad and Brother will be coming, maybe along with a few guys from my work. I'm excited. :bigthumb:

11. Kenmore's rangemasters have a reputation for being assholes. Actually, the worst one of them all hasn't been around as much. The rest of them are ok once you get to know them a little better.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here's a short clip from the lead NRA instructor that is responsible for the class:

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Also, it looks like he is actually asking for donations for the club. Most of the students will contribute anywhere from 5$ to 40$ it's up to you. This is just to pay for some of the targets and food/drinks. What ever it is, it's far less than any class around.

14. seismic

seismic New Member

Hmm. Based on what he said, it seems like it might be a little above what I was expecting, but I'm still planning on going. I'll probably want to leave the wife at home, though. :)

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

Nah, bring her. If anything I can go over some basics with her. I mentored a couple 2 months back. The lady has only fired a pistol once, .22 at that, and she shot and completed one of my USPSA matches. She didn't even have the strength to rack a slide until I showed her how to do it.

16. seismic

seismic New Member

OK. She said she's in. We can bring 9mm if your equipment is available. :)

The only thing that sucks about the whole deal is that it's 30 days away... :wtc: