MIL Now what?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Feb 15, 2009.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Been a part of this sub-forum for awhile so I'm hoping to get some honest advice. :x:

So I'm walking back into work, and my OIC congratulates me on earning a BA in Liberal Studies :hs:. He then asks me if I want his help in putting together a commissioning package. I shrugged my shoulders and told him "I don't know. The only thing I thought about was finishing my MS in Management by the end of 2010".

Apparently my OIC was former Army at one time, and said that it wouldn't hurt putting in a package for either the USAF or Army. He had great things to say about the Army, but in the end went the USAF route because he had heard it was harder to get a commission as a prior-E. This guy loves challenges so it sounded about right.

We only talked for about 30 minutes, but now I don't know what I want to do. The initial plan was to stay enlisted for the required 8yrs before I attempt to go Army Warrant in MI (like the idea of doing the technical stuff w/o leadership worries), but now I'm tossing up the idea of trying to be a finance/contract officer or Intel in either service. Two totally seperate tracks, but I feel like all the other goobers on this forum who can't decide if they want to join the military or not. The only thing I like about being anything other than enlisted is the fact that I make more money, but it has always been driven in my head that money is a bad motivation for doing anything. Obviously my opinion is only based on what I know TODAY, and can change at any time.

If I start putting a package together would the Master's degree help substantially? What to do?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Masters would probably help more if it was in a field that directly applied to the Warrant job you want.

Brackac could probably give you some good advice when he gets tired of looking at his shoulder in the mirror. :mamoru:

3. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

enter OTS in the air force and go to flight school

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Not everyone wants to fly, and you obviously didn't read his entire post.

5. JSin

JSin New Member

Being a warrant officer is the best job in the Army, unless you want to lead Soldiers. Depends on what you want.

A master's degree wouldn't help much for a and OCS packet only because I still think the acceptance rate for qualified candidate's is very high.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You won't be in the military forever, so why the hell not go for the Masters?

Do it while you still have the drive to.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Unpossible.