Now this is just insane...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by El Slotho, Mar 13, 2003.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9739&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I am going to have to go with a big THUMBS DOWN on that forum and anyone who thinks it was remotely cool to turn that kid in for trying to get his car warranteed. It didn't sound like he was really having any luck anyway after the dealers found "the telltale signs of modding his car," but man, turning around and informing on the kid is about the uncoolest of the uncool.

That thread is dirty.

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm sorry, but that's perfectly okay with me. That kid, from reading the thread, and his attitude towards ripping off companies (even though I dislike Subaru's CS and will likely never purchase another Impreza ever again) such as Subaru, got exactly what he deserved.

Good for Subaru :bigthumb:

But yeah, the whole turning him in thing is kind of bad, but eh, what are you going to do when some idiot thinks running 18psi into that block with no engine management :o

3. El Slotho

I'm sorry, but that's not okay with me. Flame the kid for being a dick on the forum, but leave it SOA to figure it out - it didn't sound like the dealers were having too much trouble finding evidence of modifications. I honestly don't think there is any "kind of bad" about it - the act of turning the kid in was just as reprehensible as the kid trying to screw SOA. :down:

4. Scoob_13

So the guys that turn states evidence against criminals are in the wrong as well? This guy was openly attempting to commit fraud, and as such IS a criminal. And remember, he willingly made the decision to commit the criminal acts, and thus chose the life of a criminal.

I'm glad that you have the comraderie with complete strangers to allow them to abuse the systems that are put in place to assist people, and trust me, I wouldn't mind seeing SOA pay $$$ to people that actually deserve it, however I would prefer that criminals be taught a lesson and actually learn from it so that they can stop committing their crimes.

Of course, I'm also for executing drug dealers within 48 hours of the verdict, but that's usually just me :o

5. El Slotho

In no way is this a comparable situation. Whatsoever. Those who turn State's Evidence are also themelves criminals who are bartering away their guity plea and open factual admission for either immunity or a lightened sentence. If you think this is done out of some sort of personal epiphany as the criminal has somehow suddenly "seen the light" of the evil of his ways, let me break it to you - it is done out of a weaseling, self-preservatory instinct to avoid fully paying for one's actions. Period.

In the case of this Subaru waste of life, it was uselessly done out of spite, and out of some bullshit holier-than-thou need to involve himself in a process that was none of his concern. At least those who turn state's evidence act out of a natural motivation of self-preservation - According to statman, the second dealer had already found evidence of modifications. The kid wasn't getting away with it. His callow involvement did nothing but expose himself as a totally spineless, sniveling piece of shit.

Jawhol!

I am not glad that you endorse the Nazi/Communist perspective of informing upon your fellow citizen. But then, I am one who believes that people usually get what they deserve independent of the involvement of weak-willed cretins who will drop a dime from the sidelines for their own cowardly satisfaction. I see it happen all the time, and feel no need to concern myself with the affairs of anyone but myself.

Would that everyone was likewise inclined.

6. someguy

someguy WWMD?

I'm not so sure about turning other people in, but this kid got what he deserved...

Besides, it sounds like the dealer already figured it out and told other dealers

7. Scoob_13

I agree with you on the points concerning turning states evidence, however, to me, that still makes no difference. This guy was attempting to commit fraud, and even though he was already not going to get away with it, the person who ratted him out simply attempting to insure that they were not going to get their cake and eat it, too.

In regards to your Nazi/Communist statement, I do not find myself as being a member of the criminal community, and as such I do not regard criminals as citizens - they are criminals, not citizens. I agree completely that people will get what they deserve, however in my experience fate does not always come through. I'd rather see some idiot that clearly does not even have the brainpower to not discuss his illegal actions on a public message board put in jail, mostly due to the fact that if they are likely a danger to the public while they roaming around the streets.

Now, you say that you pay attention to your own problems and no one elses, that's good in my opinion because I help others far too much and ignore my own needs :o Stupid Boy Scout training :p I have this silly notion in my head that if I can better society, I generally will, and if that means calling the cops on a thief, those people who sell stolen merchandise out of the backs of vans in the parking lots, or idiots who attempt to commit fraud, then so be it.

I'm sorry that I'm attempting to leave the world a better place. :(

Actually, I'm not. I'd rather be the "bad guy" and get criminals off of the street than watch them end up killing or hurting someone.

As for i-Club, things have gone downhill since I joined back in '99 :(

I :love: ethics debates, btw :bigthumb:

8. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Don't trust Subaru owners:big grin:

I know I sure don't.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  9. vw16vcabby

vw16vcabby New Member

i don't know about this one. Kid messed up, and f'd his motor. An ignorant mistake due to having no clue what is going on. But to have one of your own people rat you out for it, that is kinda fuct. Whats the purpose of buying a new car if you don't use a warranty? Granted, it is shady, but so is the mark up on those cars. If he could pull it off, more power to him. As it sounds, alot of tuned scoobies are denied warranty claim. So SOA knows what to look for. But turning him in- that would be like me copying your plate number and calling state police saying you are speeding....

10. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Stupid kid. Not only was he screwing up his car with his mods, but also randomly racing Civics on the highway isn't all too cool.

Oh well, it's not all too cool to call up a dealership and taddle-tale either.

11. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

El Slotho = jux穞a穚ose???

12. El Slotho

This is clear from your vacillation from:

To the following once faced with an adverse response:

Nice backpedal. Was the first "turning him in thing is kind of bad" response dishonest? Or are you uselessly playing devil's advocate? If so, it makes for a much less laughable argument if you assume such a stance from the beginning (instead of the old bait-and-switch). :rofl:

Which is a complete grasping at straws in relation to the specific discussion at hand...this is absolutely useless conjecture. I have no interest in wasting my time guessing what he may or may not be doing, just that it was a piece of shit move to narc on him. Which it was, no less in this my third post on the matter than in my first. No conjecture, no long-winded circumlocution, just the same point I made when I began this thread and that you agreed with. Along with everyone else who has responded. :dunno:

I did actually laugh out loud at this one:

Then you, sir, exist at a much higher standard than I, as every time I speed on a public roadway, it can be construed as a criminal act. Every time. And I should probably tell you that although you do not find yourself "as being a member of the criminal community," the same isn't so for the constabulary if you have yourself ever chosen to break a posted speed limit.

Will you now tell me you have never sped? Or let's be specific - that you have never exceeded the speed limit by 20 mph? Never, ever done 100 mph on a public roadway? If you rightly admit you have, then you are a hypocrite criminal by your own standards of breaking the law. If you say no, then you are a liar.

Your choice.

CG: No clue what you are referencing.

13. elysium

elysium Guest

1.) Nobody's perfect.
    2.) Fuck the corporations. I know that may sound childish, but seriously--what the hell do you care if Corporation ABC or XYZ looses X amount of money? "It affects everyone" you say? Bullshit, it affects the corporation, anything beyond that is pure spectulation.

Bottom Line: With so many American's having the mindset of narc's, it doesn't surprise me other countries think we're a bunch of assholes.

14. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I dont see the big deal.

This kid was just that...a kid...and a dick at that. I met him by chance from bumping into some i-clubbers around Kent. He was a total punk, that told me i didnt know jack shit about tuning, even though there was a Honda in the group with a motor i helped build. But anyway, the kid got what he had coming, becuase even of the people that where around, everyone was telling him he was gonna fuck his car up. He was hotdogging the car, doing high RPM clutch dumps trying to to donuts, etc. Total idiot. ANd i cant in the slightest bit feel remotly sorry for a loser kid whose parents bought him a car, that he fucked up, and is now probibly home crying about cause hes gotta tell daddy he fucked it up.

As for SOA, i dont like Subaru very much, (duh) but Joe Spitz from Carter Subaru is a GREAT guy, and he REALLY knows the Subaru product. And if there is ONE single Subaru dealership here in WA you wont pull a fast one on...its Carter Subaru.