MIL Now that I'm deployed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I realize a few things that I didn't understand before.

• All I really need from home is pictures, letters, and home-cooked stuff. Everything else that I need I can usually get here in-country.
    I don't have access to a lot of stuff, but I do have access to everything I need. And there are enough guys in my unit that get boxes of essentials that I don't really need to go to the PX very often.

• Most of the soldiers that deploy don't really understand what it is like to be outside the wire.
    A guy in my TOC handed me a football and asked that I toss it to some kids on my next mission. I described what happens to the kids when we toss them anything. There is an instant balls-out no-holds-barred brawl, with the smaller kids usually going down first, followed by progressively larger kids until one bloody filthy kid crawls away with the prize. A few seconds later, some older teenager will go over to the prize-winner and calmly take it and walk away. The only way to give these kids anything is to throw mass quantities of it in various directions. This will still result in a mass brawl, but at least some of the kids will end up with something. It doesn't matter if the prize is a ball or a bottle of water. Everything is fought over as if it were made of gold.

• It doesn't matter what day of the week or month it is unless you don't have a mission.
    If I wake up to find that I don't have a mission today, I check my watch to see if it's Friday (Muslim holiday) or payday (1st/15th). My CHU-mate is on permanent contractor guard duty (long story), so he's usually off on Fridays. So on Fridays, I don't go to Hadji shops, and I don't rock out with my cock out in my CHU. :hsugh:

• It doesn't matter how many times you have deployed.
    I don't give a shit how you did it back in OIF III. In fact, I have seen soldiers that are on their 3rd deployment to Iraq do some of the stupidest things while outside the wire. Most of it is due to them having pre-conceived ideas of what Iraq is like based on their previous deployments. Iraq is different now than it was in OIF I, II, III, IV, etc. Get your head out of your ass and wake the fuck up. :madfawk:

• Fobbits rule.
    The fobbits have the rank and the fobbits make the rules. When confronted by an obvious fobbit of high rank, just respond with "Roger that, Sir" or "Roger that, Sarn't". When they are gone, let your immediate leadership know of your encounter with said fobbit and then resume doing whatever you were doing.

• I have to constantly work to keep my anger in check.
    It is useful when allowed out in carefully governed quantities, but it is definitely a beast that must be guarded against.

This list is too long to do in one sitting. More later. After I go flog the dolphin and find a way to constructively vent some anger. :squint:

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

weights man....weights...

3. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

weight, wat?

4. evan2

evan2 Guest

where are you old man? Im in kygry right now trying to a get a flight to bagram, should be this am as our last one got canxed

5. Ranger-AO

Baghdad, baby. Come on over and I'll get you a VIP ride-along on a route clearance mission. :naughty:

6. Ranger-AO

:werd:

7. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Ranger I need to see if you can pm me your UIC and if the unit needs bodies. I should be able to extend around march time frame. Hopefully your unit will have 3 months left after march.

8. FATBOY

FATBOY OT Supporter

Exactly. I know there will be some sort of BX/PX so I take the bare minimum. 2 bags no more, no less. I get packages from the wife every 10 days or so, so anything I need is only 10 days away.

WTF is a Fobbit? I have never heard that before.

9. Ranger-AO

FOB = [Noun] Forward Operating Base.
    FOBBIT = [Noun; Adjective] Any soldier that never leaves the FOB. (See: Hobbit)

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

Shit old man I cant even get to Afghan....been at Manas since the 9th...they are killing me

11. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Where the hell are you again?

12. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

There is knowledge in deployments though, and a vast difference between using and sharing that knowledge and being complacent..

14. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Good knowledge.

Stay alive!

15. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

tell them you want to find some baghdad gold and take off for a couple of weeks

16. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

17. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I wish we flew in to Baghdad :hs:

18. dura

dura Guest

My job will never let me out of the wire and nothing happens inside the FOB. Been here four months and not a single mortar has come in. There's nothing but sand for miles out and nothing happens at the gates. I know a lot of people would like to sit their deployment out like this, but I'll be leaving with nothing more than memories of lifting weights, doing college work, and being in a pogue unit.

It's really changing my perspective on some proclaimed "combat veterans". I don't know how the fuck anyone can call themselves that after enduring nothing and going to the DFAC for 15 months.

19. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

that's why i'm so upset that i got shoved into the orderly room, i'm not going to be doing shit :wtc: and i'm in a signal company so double lose

20. evan2

evan2 Guest

Sounds like a good time....save some money, lift some weights, get your education on
    wait sounds like an air force deployment....yeaaa

well minus the 15 month part

21. evan2

evan2 Guest

so yea our planes broke..yet another day in shitty manas............ugh

22. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

awesome :rofl:

23. FATBOY

FATBOY OT Supporter

Why on earth are you complaining? You have it made. Getting mortared/rocketed everyday is not a good feeling. All it takes is one to ruin your whole day. Spending half of your day in bunkers or face down in the dirt really does suck.

:rofl: @ pogue unit comment.

24. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Same here stuck in St. Louis :sadwavey:

On the road breaks ftl

25. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

:bowdown: thats awesome. that vid went around like wildfire at work. my Squadron CC played it at commanders call.