Now accepting VGA card recommendations.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 31, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Lately I've found it increasingly hard to keep track of VGA card specs; the damn things are so complicated now that they're practically entire embedded computer systems by themselves. So, given these constraints:

- Must be AGP 8x compliant;
    - Must be < $200;
    - Must be passively-cooled (i.e. NO FAN OF ANY KIND);

- External power connection is not a concern;
    - Chipset brand is not a concern;

...what is OT's recommendation for a new VGA card?

2. Tvan

Tvan New Member

3. deusexaethera

Yeah, I know, I just don't like fans. They make noise, they wear out, and they serve as a crutch to keep manufacturers from making microchips that can handle their own heat output. But still, I'm sticking with heatsinks/heatpipes until there is no other option.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

5. deusexaethera

I'm guessing you're one of those guys with the windowed, watercooled, fluorescent-lit cases on wheels, yeah? I'm not. I like my computer to shut up and sit in the corner.

6. deusexaethera

Interestingly, I ended up buying the same thing, made by Gigabyte, with an AGP slot. So I guess that's a decent bit of validation.

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Great analogy! They have fans for a reason.

8. Hartman

Hartman New Member

you seem to have some knowledge, but some of the things you say leave me scratching my head.

9. deusexaethera

The best solution to any problem is the simplest one that gets the job done. A Bugatti Veyron has a 16-cylinder engine, if I remember correctly, and produces somewhere around 1000hp, of which about 500hp is lost as waste heat. In this circumstance, watercooling is a necessity because the engine makes more heat than the air around it can absorb in almost any circumstance.

A computer, on the other hand, consumes electricity at a rate of ~.5hp, and for the sake of argument let's say it wastes .25hp as heat. That's about 99.95% less heat than the Bugatti makes, and is well within the bounds of what even a slight breeze can dissipate, which makes your comparison more than a little inaccurate. A computer with even a single exhaust fan and a single intake fan will be able to keep itself from overheating.

Since computers have lots of expensive electronics inside them, I'm rather disinclined to let the companies that make the components move in the direction of relying on water to dissipate heat, considering that all that's really needed is a good copper heatsink for each component, power throttling like what the Intel Pentium M has, and a couple of large, quiet fans instead of a bunch of small, annoying fans.

As far as VGA cooling fans being a crutch, have you noticed that older VGA chipsets that used to have fans on them are now equipped with heatpipes? Do you know why they can do that? Because they refined the GPU design to emit less heat, that's why. I prefer to keep applying the pressure for this kind of refinement to happen.

In case you missed it before, I have an engineering degree and I use it every day, so don't fuck with me when it comes to design issues. You, on the other hand, seem to be Jolly's Mini-Me -- except that Jolly, for whatever reason, has eased up on me quite a bit. Maybe you should fall back in line, sparky.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  10. deusexaethera

I didn't pull numbers out of my ass. The Bugatti Veyron makes about 1000hp and a computer with a 400-watt power supply running at full load is draining about .5hp worth of electrical power. Can a microchip the size of my pinky fingernail dissipate hundreds of watts without a fan? No, it can't. But then again, NO CPU OR GPU USES HUNDREDS OF WATTS and a good heatsink goes a long way.

Intel, ATI, and nVidia do a great job at what they do -- as I said, they actually bother to refine their designs as time goes on, and I want to encourage that to continue in my own small way by paying for it.

Your bitch ass, on the other hand, came up in here and ruined my thread. I was trying to get some decent suggestions on a passively-cooled video card (which, for all you know, has a 92mm fan pointed right at it anyway) and clogged it up with evidence of your wasted life. Go away and shut the fuck up until you have something more useful to contribute than just strategically-placed smilies.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  11. Hartman

Hartman New Member

A lot of the 7600GS are passively cooled. I almost bought a MSI 7600GS but I decided not to, but it had nothing to do with passive or active cooling.