GUN Noveske 16.1 Recon 5.56mm Barrel in stock at Rainier

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by einhander, May 5, 2009.

1. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

SOLD OUT - Noveske 16.1 Recon 5.56mm Barrel in stock at Rainier

$495

sold out

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=965

16.1″ Recon 5.56mm Barrel
    1:7 Twist improved polygonal rifling
    5.56 Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber
    Mid length gas system
    M4 feedramps
    1⁄2 X 28 TPI
    Bead blasted finish
    1″ long gas block seat
    Pinned low profile gas block
    Medium Contour

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

Bravo also had some VLTOR MUR's up, but those sold out before I could post.

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I really really want a mid-length lw upper.

4. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

spr is in

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Fuck.

Decisions decisions.

:noes:

6. I know the "cant wait to test for groups with heavy bullets." comment was from the quote of yours, not you yourself. I wonder if the guy realizes that heavy bullets aren't going to make a bit of difference at 100 yards.

7. ChipOnShoulder

Noveske's polygonal rifling also has the benefit of noticeably appreciable velocities according to a few. MTSN made pretty amazing claims, with 12.5" Noveske P barrels producing LMT 14.5" chrome lined level velocities

Until I see it myself on my own chrono though...

My question is if the P barrels produce faster velocities, then why did Noveske make his SPR barrel 18.5" instead of just 18? Or would one be better off with a 16" recon, getting Mk 12 velocities and accuracy out of a compacter package?

Hmm...

8. I'm just curious what benefit he thinks he's going to see from heavier bullets. There are lots of lighter match grade bullets available. And I never said anything about 55gr bullets in 1:7 barrels, I have one and I know it shoots them just fine.

9. I don't expect you to speak for him. I was just wondering out loud. People seem to have this misconception that heavier bullets are more accurate than lighter bullets, and depending on the environmental conditions and shooting scenario they can be more accurate. But when I see someone shoot at 100 yards and then talk about how he can't wait to try it with heavier bullets I wonder what he's basing that on. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm simply curious as to the logic behind that guy's statement.

10. Sorry for trying to make conversation in this thread.

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Any handloaded bullets will shoot fine at a 100yds. But if hes saying its bulk XM193 than thats a different story

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

And what "heavy bullets" does he want, I just looked around and most are in stock

13. I didn't expect you to. I wasn't trying to question you. I was just trying to address the myth that people have (I'm not talking about specific people, just people in general) that heavier bullets are going to be more accurate at 100 yards.

14. fatmoocow

Just a guess as I don't have the numbers handy, but I'd guess that the 18.5 would then match a standard 20" for velocity. So for mil purposes you can treat it as a 20" which you've got lots of data for.

Note for everyone considering the spr. The "midlength" is not the midlength pictured, it's the "noveske" midlength which is closer to rifle length than what they've got pictured. If you buy the standard midlength handguards or rails (~10") you'll have gas rail sticking out. You want the extended vltor type rail ~12".

15. ChipOnShoulder

IIRC, Red's part of the old school WA HTF, meaning he's probably got knowledge of the choice spots... aka, not the 20 yard pits overflowing with teenagers and beer off of I-90 (bring SAPI plates, lol). If he's in the Puget sound region, Cascade Rifle goes up to 600 yards. If he's on the dry side of the state, he's got miles of desert to shoot in.

Those 55 gr were probably just break in throwaways. I'm honestly curious what 55 gr FMJs he was using for that kind of group, i'll go ahead and ask him directly.

Also decided to pass on the Noveske SPR. I just remembered that Krieger's SPR clocks in at $490 sans gas block.

16. I really want to check out Cascade Rifle once I get my Remy 700 done. And they have no caliber restrictions on the long range! :bowdown: Hello .50bmg.

17. ChipOnShoulder

You just have to qualify first weekend of the month to get access to the 600 yard range... given you're shooting over the roof of the 300 yard range, lol.

My dentist friend was a member there. It's $100 annually if you volunteer 8 hours of your times, $180 if you're a lazy asshole.

Also, it looks like I might have had a text miscommunication with Rainier and might end up getting a Noveske SPR anyway... whoops!

18. Yeah, I read about the qualification thing. That shouldn't be a problem, and if there are lots of people there to qualify it would only add to the fun of shooting a .50 at a range. :bigthumb:

Even the $180 fee is a bargain compared to a lot of places.

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

What profile are Noveske's barrels comparable to?

20. fatmoocow

stainless is considered midweight which is in between say a standard m4/m16 and a bull. SPR is pretty heavy for carrying around.

21. ChipOnShoulder

The GTS Operator, SOCOM M4, and SPR barrels all have similiar "medium" contours.

Also talked to Red. Turns out he was using IMI 55 gr FMJ/BT in handloads. Israeli factory loaded M-193 is known for being more accurate than most, so their projectiles probably aren't bad either. Strangely, I remember hearing that Winchester helped set up the Israeli facilities... but winchester 55 gr FMJ projectiles are junk.

He noted he hadn't gotten under 1 MOA with his loads in other rifle before.