Novell 6 Server Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chase, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

We just had a new server set up and am now trying to login but continually get the Tree or Server cannot be found error. Although when selecting the tree/context/server through the Advanced tab of the login screen, everything is displayed correctly.

The client machines are a mix of win98/3.4 and 2000pro/4.9 and all are getting the same message. All can ping the server. Here is the weird part... you can login from offsite by using the IP, but not from here in the building.

I then figured it was a routing problem with the Linux Box we use for DHCP. But, I bypassed the box altogether and connected a WS to the top layer switch (which the Server is connected to as well). Still getting the same error when trying to log in.

What can I check next? :sadwavey:

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

tree or server not found means a connectivity problem. check your wiring and nic settings. you might want to set speed and duplex on the nic to match your switch settings and make sure the ipx protocol specifies the correct frame type (802.2, 802.3, ethernet_ii or whatever)

edit: since this is netware 6, you might not be running ipx. if you aren't you would need to test the tcp/ip connection (i.e. can you ping the gateway and the novell server)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  3. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Yeah, I mentioned I could ping the server, they can also hit the gateway. I dont think it would be speed setting problem as there is only one switch and a wide varitey of NICs (all 10/100) and none can hit, unless you are outside the network..remotely.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

frame type ...