Noticable difference between DVI and Analog display?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

My current video card doesnt support DVI but I'm getting a brand new 2405FPW which supports DVI. My friend has 2 2001FP's, one with DVI and one with analog, and says he can't tell the difference.

Is he messing up his settings or is the difference very small and does not warrant buying a new vid card?

2. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

It's hard to notice a difference between VGA and DVI......

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

yeah its really hard to tell and know what to look for. We have both here at work and it looks nearly the same. Then again if you look at it long enough the desktop icons just look smoother around the edges and the color looks more true when comparing color prints. Then again I may be fooling myself. Hell I did it because it came with usb ports on the side and the analog didn't.

4. Gen5_EG

VGA can look just like DVI with virtually imperceptible differences based on how much you tweak it. We have a 61" Pioneer hooked up via RGBHV and another via DVI. The clock and sync settings go away with DVI. But with a little tweaking here and there, we got the VGA to look just like DVI and customers can't even tell the difference.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DVI looks better. Large areas of color are more accurate, and differences between two colors are more pronounced.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That sounds much easier than just plugging into the DVI port.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:mamoru:

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have used both, and in my opinion, it seems like it varies among monitor and their settings. On a Samsung 193P that I have, it looked pretty much the same between DVI and VGA. On an NEC Multisync 1735NXM that I use at work, it looked quite a bit sharper and clearer using DVI. The colour also seemed better overall.

9. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

With my LCD monitor at home, the picture quality appears to be slightly better with DVI vs. VGA but it is not too big of a deal. Where DVI really shines versus VGA with my monitor is the analog connection doesn't quite center properly on the display whereas the DVI is always the right size and centered on the screen.

10. dew

dew Banned

its hard to tell the difference but dvi:bigthumb:

11. Gen5_EG

:bigthumb:

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I have the Hyundai L90D+ and I have to say the image was basically the same except the text was more crisp and the bright colors were more bright and the dark colors were less muddy.

It was very hard to tell the difference, I changed it back and forth and noticed it.