Notepad files don't open

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tripod, Mar 22, 2005.

1. tripod

tripod New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I was just talking to girl on the phone who was proud of learning how to create a folder; thankfully, I am quite a bit more computer literate than that, however, I have found myself in a bit of a pickle.

For some reason, all of the .txt files I have saved on my desktop no longer open. All I get is "C:\.........\....txt is not a valid Win32 Application."

Even if I right-click, go to "open with" and pick notepad from the list, they still don't work. And I figured that the notepad association in the programs list may have gotten screwed up, so I went to the "open with" option, then browsed and selected the file "C:\WINNT\notepad.exe". Still no dice. But, when I open notepad manually, from the start menu or a desktop shortcut, I can then go "File --> Open" and open the files in question.

So my question is, why do my .txt files no longer open automatically with notepad, and what can I do to fix that?

And yes, I know I can associate those files with another program, but I like notepad for random things because it is simple, loads quickly and does not bog down the computer.