Notebook DVD/CD Drive question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Aug 2, 2006.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

How difficult, or easy is it to repalce an optical drive in a notebook computer. I am considering upgrading the optical drive in my Acer Aspire 3624 and wanted to know if this is something I may be able to do myself, or should I let a pro do it? I've done several drives in desktop PC's but I know it's different for a notebook pc.

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Most have a single screw and latch that'll let you take it out. Some require the keyboard to come loose so you can remove that and remove a screw that holds the drive in. It depends on the model. It isn't rocket science stuff but I wouldn't get in a rush and screw up.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

To add to Schproda's post:

Pretty much all laptops require their optical drive to have a proprietary plastic casing attached to the sides of the drive, and the size and shape of the casing is different for every brand of laptop. However, the optical drive itself is a standard shape and size, which means that all you have to do is unscrew the casing from the old drive and attach it to the new one, and then slide the new drive into the laptop's drive bay.