Notebook Crew - Get in here! v.needhelpselectingnotebook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDiggity, Jul 29, 2006.

1. IDiggity

IDiggity New Member

So I went to Best Buy with my friend to help him find a computer for law school . . .

. . . and we left with this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7889065&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat39100050016&id=1149206139777

His requirements are mostly media/word processing/surfing related, and he wants to be able to do all of this simultaneously - during class (obviously). He's also obsessed with it being "thin n' light" - as in he's a little :greddy:

I was thinking that it was a pretty damn good deal at $800, but I wanna know if anyone can think of a better steal for under $1200.

Thoughts? :noes:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gateway ftl
    turion ftmfl

game over.

The IBM/Lenovo R60 comes in at $899-1099. Or you can get the Ultra-portable X60 for about $1399.

3. alptekin

alptekin New Member

i agree.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

MacBook. Even if he runs Windows on it.

5. IDiggity

IDiggity New Member

It just seems like a lot of computer for $800 (note: price is already back to $929 at BB) . . .

I've been looking for articles benchmarking Intel Core Duo vs Turion 64 X2.

People are saying Turion ftl - does it make any difference that it's the dual core Turion (Turion 64 X2 vs Turion 64)?

And what about power consumption? I was under the impression that the AMD processors were blowing away Intel's chips (at least until Core 2 Duos start being incorporated) in this category.

To clarify, my friend wants to spend no more than $1500 for a notebook AND ~3-year warranty on it, and he is extremely picky about it being thin and light. He likes the 14.1" screen size.

Any further suggestions? Thanks - much appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  6. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

I'm buying an HP dv5000t within the next few weeks. For $803, I'm getting a 1.4GHz Celeron M (Core Solo Based), a 128MB GeForce 7400 Go, 1GB of RAM, an 80GB 5400RPM hard drive, and a DVD burner.

Very, very good for $803. It's actually a capable gaming machine. You may want to look into that one. I've used one before and it is one solidly built laptop, a rarity these days.

I'd stay away from Dell or Toshiba. Nothing but headaches.

Get an IBM, HP/Compaq, or Asus. Best machines around, IMO.

And if he must have the portability, he should look into the Thinkpad T series. I own a Thinkpad 600e, the precursor to the T series, and I've used a couple T-Series before.

They are great machines, very durable to boot. I've dropped my Thinkpad 600e three times without, literally, having the casing scratch at all. And it still works!

7. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

5000t isnt a bad pick! Its what i use, altho mine has the 2.2 duo 2gig ram 512 vid card and 120 HD and was a bit over 1400 but is an amazing machine and havent had any issues at all.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ahahahahahaha If you buy an HP, you're an idiot, and deserve all the shit you will get with it.

Turion FTL. Turion X2 FTL.

Intel chips have KILLED AMD chips in power consumption in the MOBILE market for years. On the desktop, Intel runs hot and uses lots of power, but in the mobile segment, the Pentium "M" and "Core Solo/Duo" line-ups are unbeatable for performance per watt. AMD can't touch them!

9. Schproda

Schproda New Member

LMAO! I wouldn't buy shit from Best Buy anyway.

10. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Wait until later this year when the Merom chips come out...

Intel chip that will suck less power, give off less heat, and give more processing power then the Pentiums.

11. IDiggity

IDiggity New Member

That's what I told him, but he's impatient and wants a new notebook NOW so he can have it "configured" before he starts classes in mid-August.

12. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Another vote for IBM/Lenovo, but I wish they would put more effort into the physical appeal of their notebooks. How many people still use the joystick?

Stay away from HP/Compaq's Home & Home Office PCs. Their business notebooks are much better. I've had good experiences with Acer as well.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

many people prefer the "stick" to the touchpad. IBM offers both.

14. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Ditto on both, not ditto on HP notebooks. The business class laptop kicks as much ass as any others that I have to work on weekly. The sad truth is that just about anything you buy from Best Buy or CompUSA or places like that are consumer level pieces of crap. They come with useless BS on them, whereas the business class laptops don't.