Notebook computer problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BeniBoi09, Mar 18, 2005.

1. BeniBoi09

BeniBoi09 New Member

A few weeks ago my Toshiba Satellite laptop's screen went on the fritz. the only way i can describe it is that the screen froze and funkey colors came up.. after it did this for about 15 seconds it went back to normal. I thought it was just because i was using it for about 6 hours and it hadnt happened since that day. Until 2 days ago i was using it like normal and it was only on for about an hour and the screen did that freak out thing and wouldnt do anything, so i unplugged and removed the battery.. at that time i smelled burning (yeah like electronic burn). I had my friend take a look at the main stuff and he ruled out the RAM or HD being the culprits, so im wondering if its the processor or the video card or something like that. Basically i want to know if it would be safe for me to try to start it up again to get the info off the HD or should i have my friend open it up and see if its fixable? Any chance that it is a fluke or am I screwed?

sorry for the long post but i dont know anywhere else to ask. and yes ive thought about bringing it to a computer shop but being a student with not a lot of money i cant really dump any money into it right now.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i wouldn't power it back up until you have it checked out. i have seen a toshiba catch fire before, which obviously won't help matters

3. BeniBoi09

BeniBoi09 New Member

yeah it looks like im going to have to trash it... this computer place checked it out and half the wireings burned and the processor was a little burned, they said it would be a minimum of 780 to fix, but with that i could get a new laptop.. so instead of a fix im going to save the rest towards a new machine.