Notebook battery problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dude, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

I have a Sager notebook running Ubuntu 6.10 and windows vista. I primarily use the computer at my desk so it is plugged in about 75% of the time. I recently discovered that when I unplug the power cord, the computer dies instantly. This happens even though it says the battery is 100% charged. I assume that this is a problem with the battery, but I would rather not spend the $100+ if it's another issue. Anyone know what's up?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

does this happen both in windows and linux?

Does removing the battery change the "charge" that the system reports? when you cat the /proc/battery info in linux, what is it's effective mAh rating?

3. Dude

Dude New Member

It does happen in both windows and linux. I haven't tried removing the battery yet. I'll try that out and post back

4. dr.deviil

dr.deviil New Member

ummm it looks like either ur battery has cell problems OR you have over chared it altough u shouldnt c the effects so soon of overcharing whatever the cause might be i would sujest to cantact the manufcatere the laptop batteries are covered under manufactring warranty for one year. REPLACE IT the problems should be solved

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it *might* be the battery... But it also may not be the battery... It could be the charging system. So before you jump to conclusions, just stop, read, and learn.

6. Dude

Dude New Member

Thanks! That was the main reason I asked the question before going out and buying a new battery. Now I guess I have to do the leg work and figure out what is wrong.