A&P Note to self... calm down

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NetChemica, May 12, 2008.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I lost my lens pen a couple weeks back.

Around lunch time I saw a small smudge on my 18-200vr. I took a microfiber towel I have and gently wiped it off. Next thing I know there are several dozen little lines on the lens that don't want to blow away with my little hurricane blower :noes:.

I started getting pissed cause I thought that there was something on my microfiber towel that I didn't see.

I figured the 18-200 wasn't really something I should :wtc: over, and it's not like I fucked up a $1,500 glass :hs:

I ran out to a local camera shop (PJ Camera) and picked up a lens pen. I wiped down my 50f1.8 since it was dirty and felt like cleaning the 18-200 for shits and giggles. They were all just little fibers that were left on the lens :bowdown:. It's still scratch free.

Now I just need to get me a UV lens so this won't happen again.

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I clean my 70-200 F2.8 L IS with sandpaper to get that holga look.

3. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I've taken to using fine sand as an abrasive and a rotary buffer, myself.

4. planb

planb itches in my teeth

I dropped my nikkor 55mm macro tonight, thankfully I had a UV filter on it and that was the only thing that shattered.

I generally buy filters for all my lenses at some time or another, but after this, I wont mount a lens on my camera unless it has a filter on it.

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

crap on the front element usually doesn't even affect the images

6. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Simmer down.

A few marks on your front element doesn't affect anything. Take a small piece of post-it note paper and stick it on the front element and then take a picture. You won't see it.

Don't overclean your lens, that will cause more harm than leaving a few smudges on the front.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The pros have switched to using industrial diamonds, ground up into fine particles, sprinkled liberally on the front element then heated with a blow torch to imbed them into the lens coating.

8. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Used a lens pen on my sensor when I was in a pinch, since I dont have sensor cleaner, I was scared as fuck doing it.

Fucking people not leaving my shit alone :mad: had a fingerprint on my sensor.

Never did get a confession from that one, stuff now stays locked up again

THen I used it on the front and rear elements of the lens, good as new

9. Dwight Schrute

How the hell do you get a fingerprint on your sensor? The mirror would have to be locked up and the camera body open.

10. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

:mad:

had visitors at the house, my family and I went inside to get the food and bring it out, in the meantime I went to drown some brownies in the porcelain bowl, leaving my camera outside under cover where I thought it would be ok... KNowing my family was around, they dont let people touch my stuff

noooooooooo, while my family was inside (while I was doign my business) someone had taken the camera, and taken the lens off of it, it was in a different place, and the lens wasn't securly fastened anymore.

fuckers cant leave shit alone, I TRIED to take a photo of a cardinal sitting on our fence, and it came out looking like shit, lens looked fine, so I snapped one of a flower, and the same thing, took it apart, went into the menu and locked up the mirror and saw a big ass smudge on the sensor

I was not a very happy host the rest of the evening
    MAN i was fucking pissed

But I learned, I'm not carrying my camera into the shitter wiht me if I have to, even if it means looks of :ugh:

11. Dwight Schrute

I would have kicked everyone out, family or not.

But for future reference, you're crazy for using a dry lens pen on your sensor.

12. johan

johan Active Member

so someone saw your camera, grabbed it, removed the lens, did a mirror lockup and then fingered your sensor?

that's pretty diligent..