Not very good with wheel sizing.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rabidpirate, Apr 10, 2007.

1. rabidpirate

rabidpirate New Member

I'm planning on picking up a replacement set of wheels/tires. After some research i've decided on a set of Falken FK 452 ( 215/45R-17 87Y BSW ) paired with a set of 17in Enkei GF1's ( 17X7 5-100/114.38AM ).

I'm worried about ordering them and having them not fitting correctly. Will they match up well enough in the wheel wells of a 2000 Celica GT?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Take the width of the tire (the number before the "/"), multiply it by the aspect ratio (the number after the "/"), then divide by 100. That's the height of the tire in millimeters. Divide the height by 25.4 to convert it to inches, then add it twice to the diameter of the wheel. That's how tall the wheel and tire will be when you put them together. Compare to your existing wheels.

3. rabidpirate

rabidpirate New Member

ah ha! Thanks for the info

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Or you can use this:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

The simple way to upsize though is to go "+1 sizing" - add an inch to diameter, 10 to tread width, and -10 to the profile.

Celica GT stock tire size is 195/60-15
    Celica GT-S stock tire size is, not coincidentally, 205/50-16
    For a 17" wheel you should therefore get 215/40-17

But in certain sizes your options may be limited, forcing you to go to a near-match. Be careful about adding too much tire height cause that will make your car sit like a 4x4 (besides throwing your speedo and odo way off).

You should also check the recommended wheel width on the tires you are buying as well as the offset on the wheels you are buying. Offset is a little trickier to figure out, just google it. You don't want the wrong offset as it will end up either with the wheels looking "sunk in" toward the center of the car or they'll stick out past the fenders like a Mexi-mobile with gold Daytons. Not a good look.

5. rabidpirate

rabidpirate New Member

Fantastic! Thanks for that. I saw a Cobalt on the way to work the other day with a aftermarket wheels who where sticking a good inch or so out from the wheel wells. This is what prompted me to worry about the sizing so much.

6. yourfather

yourfather New Member

Perfect or the one on the miata forums.