SRS Not sure

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by rebel, Feb 25, 2006.

1. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

Narcisstic Personality Disorder (NPD)

Up until today, I never realized I had a problem, until I stumbled upon an article talking about NPD (Narcisstic Personality Disorder). I fit every symptom and characteristic of having it. I'm not sure what to do, or how to go about getting help for it, because apparently there is no cure.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

You should see a physcologist - they are the only way you are going to get any answers. Most health insurance covers it, so find out what providers in your area are covered, pick one, and make an appointment.

3. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

:werd: Any professional will do . Only do it though if it actually interferes with daily living and thingis you want to do.

Edit: Just looked at the "symptoms." I wonder if there's actually something made to treat that. Because I don't really see a big deal in someone having NPD. Wouldn't they just be labeled as maybe self confident, cocky, or stuck up? But maybe I'm just saying this because I don't know how extreme it can get.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Meh, you prolly don't have it, or you prolly wouldn't be able to see the symptoms. I told my therapist the same thing and he said that almost everybody will be able to identify several symptoms of a lot of personality disorders in themselves. Unless you feel like its really screwing with your life, there is no need to worry about it.

5. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2006
  6. Appolinar

Appolinar New Member

If you never thought you had a problem then you probably don't.

Mental disorders aren't just diagnosed by matching a list of symptoms. They're also supposed to be rated according to the degree of impairment in your life that they cause- if it doesn't cause disorder then it ISN'T a disorder. For example, plenty of people show some characteristics typical of anorexia nervosa or OCD, but it's not a disorder until it prevents them functioning normally, causes them distress or means they're a risk to themselves or others. Most people will show some mild narcissistic traits- to a certain degree it's normal and beneficial for maintaining self-esteem.

If it's so bad that you're completely self-centred, take advantage of people constantly, have trouble functioning normally, etc, then there is therapy for it. But I'd only seek therapy if you think that it may be the cause of any problems you may have, not just to get diagnosed for the sake of it.