Not sure where to ask this... (has to do with cable tv/cables)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

A freind of mine has a tv which nearly fell but luckily was caught by the coaxial cord on back just enouph for the person moving the tv to get it back on the stand before it fell. Problem is that the coaxial connection on the back got pulled out.

Here's the delimma: The tv is a pioneer 32" flat screen. It has component/RCA/S-vidieo jacks on the back along with the coaxial jack. All she wants to do is be able to get her cable signal on this TV again.

Here's the way it's been wired previously. The cable comes into the house and goes to a Time Warner Digital Cable Box. Then from that box it goes to the Dvd/Vcr player, and then, through coaxial cable, from there it goes to the TV.

I took a guess and figured an RF modulator I had lying about would fix the problem. Hooked it up from the DVD/Vcr to the TV and got no signal (although dvd's worked) As I really don't know much about this stuff I figured that the signal was not being converted correctly by the RF modulator and that was the problem so I went out and bought an S-Video cable and hooked that up. I still got no signal but was able to watch DVD's.

It was getting late so I didn't try the next thing I thought would fix the problem. That was to take the cable going into the Time WArner Cable Box and plug it directly into the Vcr/Dvd and then use an S-Video cable from The DVd/Vcr to the TV. In that way I think everything should work.

I'm thinking the Time Warner box is causing the problems but don't really know why. She gets basic cable from time warner. I asked why she has a digital cable box and she said that's just the way they hooked it up. I tried calling them but they are closed so no help there. I'm wondering if the signal is digital and needs the cable box or if you can plug it directly into the TV.

Anyone want to help me out here? :x:

(btw didn't know which forum so I posted here. Sorry if it's the wrong forum.:( )

2. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

why not just bring the cable into the vcr and let that act as the tuner? just hook hte vcr up to one of the rca or s-vid hookups on the tv and you should be good to go :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Right. I didn't have time to try that out, but I figured that should work.

Anyone know why the RF-Modulator didn't work?

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

because you broke the rf off your tv.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Brilliant Watson.... care to explain your excellent inductive logic?

6. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

you're probably trying to go to the rf modulator from the vcr and going to the tv from the a/v cords which won't because the a/v is an in not an out. thats my guess.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

That's exactly what I needed to know.

Now, why would an s-video cable (and two composite cables associated with it) not work? Just to review.. the coax. cable goes fromthe cable box to the dvd/vcr and then the s-video goes from the dvd/vcr to the tv. :dunno:

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Most VCR's with RCA-type jacks have both input and output....

A lot of tv's have a very replaceable coaxial connector....try opening the tv and seeing what's going on...

Passing the signal to the INPUT of the VCR and then OUTPUT to the tv should work just fine, make sure that the signals are correct

9. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

the other 2 cables are audio. The vcr won't work off of s-video. only the dvd will. just run video cables and it should work fine. Don't even bother with the s-video

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

That's good stuff to know, but I'm more concerned with her getting cable on her tv. The cable signal goes from the cable box to the vcr. I want to use a cable other than a coaxial or digital coaxial to run the cable signal to the TV.

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I assume this is once I replace the coax right. ;)