SRS Not sure what to do in college (acamdemic planning)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Legend Zero, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Currently I am a Psychology and Biochemistry undergraduate student. I Believe that I would like to be a clinical psychologist working with at risk adolescent youths. However, as many of you know, getting into clinical psychology seems to be very competitive. My cumulative GPA is low (3.0 exact) and my psychology GPA is nothing extraordinary (GPA=3.40). However, now comes the decision what to do for next year? Do I continue to stick it out with Biochem and Psychology and keep my psychology gpa at a 3.4 if not maybe a little higher (3.45) while possibly lowering my cumulative gpa since i tend to earn mostly C's and low B's in the biochem classes? OR, I can take a semester of full on psychology classes and try to raise my gpa considerably (cumulative and psychology specific)?

Why even consider biochemistry?
    Because it is something that I have always been interested in and continue to take interest. I have taken many science classes, and I want something to represent what I've ( a degree in biochemistry would do such) taken. I have put A LOT of work into these classes and feel like not attaining a degree that doesn't involve it in someway would be almost silly. Another big reason is that if for some reason I do not get into a clinical psychology program, I could find a job in a lab which would probably make me more eligible with a biochemistry degree; where there is not much i would want to do with psychology at the undergraduate level. Lastly, my reason is I am interested in also possibly doing teach for America for 2 years after my undergrad, and having a degree in biochemistry would allow me to teach sciences/math i would think, which is all i'd be interested in teaching.

What do you guys think i should do?
    Who can i really talk to about these actions?
    I've spoken to professors and they aren't really too much help, I was thinking about emailing admissions of graduate school to here their take, but is that a good idea?

I'd love to just here thoughts/opinions/w.e. it is that you want to say, because I am pretty confused right now. =)

2. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Most colleges have a counseling center with many graduate-level studying psychologists work. You should definitely head to this part of your campus and talk to a few of them to see how they got their job/how they approached going to graduate school.

I would assume with a science degree like Psychology or Biochemistry, you are aiming for graduate school? Are you a Sophomore or Junior right now? If you are a Junior, i'd try to act as fast as possible as your time is running short. If you are a sophomore, you will have a bit more time to do some more research.

I would say just keep at it and do your best. if you like both biochem and psychology, stick with both.

3. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I was just advised to talk to my professors, and I have talked to some of them who are new and recent graduates, but it seems like they give me open-ended answers. :hs: Which is nice, but doesn't really help me out much.

I like both, and theorethically would like to keep both, both Biochem is hard, excruciatingly hard for me, and thus, it will bring down my gpa from a 3.0 to a 2.8-2.9 i'm guessing, whereas if i take another semester of just psychology classes, i can possibly raise it to a 3.1-3.2 (from a 3.0).

A friend advised that if i am looking to do Teach for America anyway after college, that maybe it is best if i simply graduate with psychology, raise my gpa, after 2 years of Teach for America, apply for graduate school in psychology, and if I don't get in, than to finish up my biochemistry degree.

What do people think of that idea?

My end goal is to be a clinical psychologist working with adolescents in distressed enviorments. :hs:

4. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

The absolute #1 most important thing you can do (besides getting very good grades from here on out) is to land an internship and do research in a clinical psych professor's lab. When applying to graduate school, the people you know and the impressions you make are worth just as much as your GPA and GRE. Even if your grades are only decent, you can really impress a professor with your intelligence and work ethic.

Don't count on this, obviously - but remember that when applying to programs the professor who will be mentoring you is the one who chooses the applicant he accepts.

5. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I realize this and am now trying to catch up on some experience.

I have one project which i completed, that is in pdf and has my name on it (not as a author but a volunteer :hs: ), there is another research team i am going to help this summer dealing with infants; Have a internship with a clinical psychology hospital in the fall that is a "internship class" from my school.. and i'm possibly going to go back to the first place and work there again.

so I feel like i'm trying, but i'm just not sure what to do about this biochemistry/psychology thing.. to keep both, drop one, etc. :hs:

6. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I just want to also say that I seriously do appreciate this advice, because people on OT are more direct and honest, and that is exactly what I need to hear right now since I do feel very confused. So seriously, any advice that anyone has or knowledge is really helpful to me and I do appreciate it tremendously! Registration opens up in a week, and I feel like I need to know by than clearly what path I'm headed so I can register for the right classes.