SRS Not sure what to do about this rent situation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sapient, Aug 2, 2009.

1. sapient

sapient New Member

This is a little long, but the story is relevent to the situation, and this is really causing me a ton of stress, so I'd appreciate any help or opinions. :)

So I had three roommates, Asti, Joe, and Paul. Asti is black, and Joe is a little racist with a terrible temper and even worse drinking problem. Joe has been making inappropriate remarks about blacks all year long, with or without Asti present; nothing specifically targetted at Asti, but still not cool at all. Unfortunately, no one had the balls to say anything about it.

One night in April, Asti got really drunk and confronted Joe about it, but because he was drunk, went about it all wrong. There was a lot of yelling going on from him, and Joe was being really calm (or so I'm told, I wasn't home at the time). Paul, another roommate, had to restrain Asti from going and trying to fight Joe. Eventually Joe said he'd get his gun if Asti didn't calm down, and eventually got it out, but didn't load it or point it at Asti. Police were called regardless by Paul's girlfriend and Joe was arrested for "aggrivated menacing" and spent a little time in jail.

I wasn't really part of the decision, but Paul and Asti didn't feel comfortable in the house with Joe, his guns, his drinking problems, and his temper, and so they asked Joe to move out, which he did. As for rent, the decision was made, again without my consultation, but was confirmed with Joe's parents, who pay the bills for him, that Joe's parents would pay the remaining three months of rent in exchange for us reembursing them out of the security deposit we'll recieve when we move out.

When I was told about this, I got a little "oh shit, this is going to be bad" feeling in the back of my mind but hoped his parents would be cool. The fact that Joe has drunkenly spilled things all over the carpet, knocked down his bedroom door and never fixed it, and broken several cabinet doors will definitely reduce how much security deposit we get back, but again I just hoped for the best.

May came, and his parents unhappily paid the rent. June came, and I didn't hear from them, but I put off calling them because I was afraid of the bullshit I knew they were going to put me through. First week of July, after still not hearing from them since May, I called Joe's mom, who told me to call his dad. His dad told me that they weren't going to pay. Of course.

Then I called Joe, who tried to say it wasn't his responsibility since we asked him to leave. He tried to tell me he wasn't on the lease (which he is, I have a copy of it with his signature) and wouldn't be paying. He said he'd review the lease and get back to me. Now he's ignoring my calls.

I went to the landlord's office and talked to his secretary (the landlord won't be back in town until tomorrow), who said that since we live on a college campus, kids try to give them this story all the time, and that their standard procedure is to take everyone on the lease, regardless of who has paid and who hasn't, to court, and when they inevitably win, charge the court and lawyer fees to us as well.

So this is where I'm at. I've been the responsible one all year long, collecting rent and other bills from everyone (and incurring substantial IOUs from roommates when they were jobless/broke/ect which have yet to be payed back to me) and writing all the checks. But it looks like if I don't cough up $1000 of rent that shouldn't be my responsibility whatsoever, I'm going to court and will end up paying for this kid's mistakes regardless.

I'm not even sure how to feel about all this. On one hand, it was wrong of Joe to pull out a gun, on another hand it was wrong for Asti and Joe to immediately ask him to move out, on another hand it's wrong for Joe to try to skip out on a lease for which he signed, and on yet another hand I feel more than a little bad about asking the kid to pay rent for an apartment he was asked to move out from. While I have the money (from living like a poor man and saving everything) to easily cover it, that money is supposed to be for paying for college, and I definitely don't want to be paying anyone else's rent for them or using the portion of the security deposit I should rightfully get back to pay it.

What would you guys do in my situation?

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Sucks that he is such a retard but did you really expect to kick him out of an apartment when he is on the lease and get him to pay the remainder of the lease? :ugh: If I was him I would of told you all to fuck off I'm staying.

3. sapient

sapient New Member

I wasn't part of the decision, unfortunately. :( I know it's pretty unfair, I just have no idea how to proceed from here. Am I correct in assuming your opinion is we need to jointly pay his rent for him?

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Yes. You cannot have the best of both worlds in this dilemma.

5. whpcba

whpcba New Member

should have got what Joe's parents promised down on paper.
    but i guess you can call for a meeting of all parties involved and explain to them what the secretary told you, that everyone will suffer greater damage in the long run if they kept holding out like this. this will hopefully compel Joe parents agree to sit down and renegotiate for a fairer resolution.

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd: since you guys asked him to leave, he has no reason to pay more rent. The three of you should divide up the difference and cough it up until you can get a new roommate

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

This is pretty much the only solution since they kicked him out they should split up the cost of the rent, I don't blame the guy for not paying the 3 of you should've just put up with his shit and ignored him for the remaining 3 months of the lease.

8. johan

johan Active Member

unfortunately....

you kicked him out. So it's your responsibility to find a replacement person to pay the rent.

You could take it to small claims, but for $1000....I'd just pay the monies, and move on.

Lesson learned about dealing with stuff early on. This could've been avoided if you'd (or someone) had taken some gentle but FIRM action way way earlier in the year.

9. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

You can consult w/a lawyer regarding your options outside of court. So you don't make any missteps in how you go about things in this situation or ones in the future. They prob charge a consultation fee & if you want to keep on living where you're at I'm sure money is about to become a problem ...

Good luck with that, man. Sounds like you kinda twiddled your thumbs while you knew shit was going on. Failure to act can be just as bad as going ahead & doing the wrong thing.