Not sure what my problem is

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bluesphx, Mar 8, 2009.

1. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

but I have pics to help!

I bought this car a few years ago and now I'd Like to clean it up a bit. Not really sure what I need to do to get the paint looking better. I may just have to end up getting it all repainted.

car.jpg
    car-2.jpg
    car-3.jpg
    car-4.jpg
    car-5.jpg

Pics are not unlinker friendly at the moment sorry.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks like it could be clear coat failure. Hard to tell from the pics though. If the clear coat is fubared, you need a repaint.

3. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

We'll damn. I'll look around for places to get it painted. Thanks for the reply.

4. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i bought a car with paint similar to that that had sat untouched for 4 years. it had gotten a maaco paintjob at some point which at first glance looked like shit. the paint, after i *quickly* washed it, felt like 100 grit sandpaper. since i didnt have much to lose, i used dirt cheap products (anything autozone sells). i used a rotary for all steps, which were: rubbing compound, polish, wax. i was actually surprised at the results. it went from NO shine whatsoever to having a decent sheen, and it beaded water for a few months after, as opposed to soaking into the 1/4" of dirt. the car was white, which will NEVER show you all the hard work you put into it. and i was very decently impressed with the results. its far from a good paint job, but it looks a hell of a lot better.

i say its worth a shot. :dunno:

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Quality repaints start at $2500 on a small car (base coat/clear coat, remove/replace emblems, remove glass, paint jambs remove trim, etc). That includes no dent/body work.

That's probably more than the value of the car, so you might have to live with what you've got there.

6. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

I paid 1500 for the car, but I love it so much I think it would be worth it to get it repainted.

Thanks for the info Priest, I'll look into that. May be worth it until I can afford a full repaint.

7. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Before you invest $300 in a rotarty, compound, and polish, consider that Priest's car was likely a two stage white--very easy to work with.

Yours is likely a failing two stage silver--not very easy to get results from.

8. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

this is true. i had the rotary laying atround, as well as the supplies. but my pads came out white on some panels and not on others....so i have no idea WTF the previous owners did with it :hsugh:

9. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

Honestly, I'd like to keep and restore the car, so I'll probably end up going with the full repaint down the road and just keeping it nice from there.

Thanks for all the help guys.