SRS Not sure what my problem is...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eof, Oct 27, 2004.

1. eof

eof New Member

I drink every Saturday night….religiously. I do not want to change this, I have a good time and it gives me something to look forward to every week. I usually get a pretty good buzz on but do not get to the point where I black out. But a few times a year I will get really drunk and pass out somewhere or do something really retarded…when this happens it always seems like I drank a lot less than a “normal” night.

I just don’t get it…is it possible that some nights I am having allergic reactions to booze while other nights I do not?

:hs:

Anyway...I am turning 24 so it might be time to end this shit and settle down anyway. It is just that all my friends do the same thing and if I didn't go out I don't know what I would do with my time / money.

2. sams0n

sams0n $ OT Supporter

doesn't sound like a problem to me, maybe you should drink more often to build up your tolerance

3. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

It isn't an allergic reaction.

Can be though for other reasons like if you have had something to eat before hand.

Can just be psychological.

4. eof

eof New Member

Yeah.... I would lean towards the psychological side. I gotta see a shrink and get this shit straightened out so I can hit the bottle and not worry about shitting in a freeway and wiping my ass with my undies.

5. eof

eof New Member

:rolleyes:

hmm...the early and the often strategy eh? That seems to solve most drinking problems.

6. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

In AA there is a saying that alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. Those of us who have had to seek recovery from it did so because of what it did to us and because of how we acted under its influence: but the point is, with all our experience with alcohol we still couldn't figure it out, our reaction to alcohol. In our case, we just had to give it up.

7. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

agree with rchlgnd

maybe one is too many and a thousand never enough - you'll find out eventually I suppose, one thing to look at is

when you get in trouble is alcohol always involved? that's a sign of maybe its a problem

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Please read the rules before you post here.

1) Do not encourage, condone, or support the usage of drugs in this forum. Altered minds exists for that

Alcohol is a drug, so telling him to drink more is violating the rules.

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

It sounds like you drink to the point of near blackout every weekend, which is neither healthy or normal.

There are plenty of other things you can do with your time/money. You need to explore some other avenues for your Saturday nights. I am a recovering addict who does not drink, on my weekends I do things such as ....

1. Go to a meeting (This may not be for you, yet).
    2. Go on a date (or if you have a SO, you could hang out with her).
    3. Catch a movie with some sober friends.
    4. Listen to a live band, or go to a concert.
    5. Crash because I'm so tired from lifting, playing sports and going to the beach during the day.
    6. Go bowling
    7. Go to an arcade

Just pretend you're underage again, and do things that kids do. Try it out for a while, but avoid the club/bar scene, otherwise you will probably find it very boring if you aren't drunk. If you don't want to do this, attempt to drink more moderately ... if you are unable to drink moderately without getting smashed ... you may be an alcoholic.

The AA book recommends those who may be alcoholic to attempt controlled drinking for a certain period of time ... I wouldn't condone it, but if you feel you don't want to give it up, try just having a few beers on Saturday night for a few months ... and see how it works out. Good luck :bigthumb:

10. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...I know what I am doing is not healthy / normal for most people. But amoung my friends it is normal and I don't really feel like I want to stop at this point.

I post on OT...so we can pretty much skip the SO / dating suggestion.
    :hs:

I don't have any sober friends.

I don't really like music...and the music I kinda like is country so there are never decent concerts around here.

I don't have enough time to lift / play sports through the week and don't do anything half assed. It is either all or nothing...which could explain my problem.

The only time I bowl is when I am drinking....so I don't think this would help.

The arcade? I would look like Micheal Jackson.

I may be an alcoholic I guess...oh well...I will just have to wait until my friends settle down then I will not have anyone to drink with and will have to stop my ways.

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Complaints that current situations do not match those in which you might be prone to living a life without alcohol or involving in active recovery are generally the result of self-induced resistance to change...

an example would be... "i have no sober friends"

solution: change your group of friends, make new friends who are sober...

etc

good suggestions in here so far

12. eof

eof New Member

I was more looking for helpful suggestions such as after every 10 beer drink a water. Or something like that...

13. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Again, we're not about moderation. We're about abstinence. The reasons are clear - for people who have gone down our path, moderation is not a plausible solution to our problem(s).

14. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

Yep, it's about getting pissed that's the whole thing for me, not the enjoyment of a good drink I can sip.

Just kneck em back and look forward to the next beer and the numbness it brings.

15. eof

eof New Member

:bigthumb:

It's 5 0 Clock somewhere...

16. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

That's the comment of a daily drinker, not somebody who only drinks on Saturdays, as you said in your initial post. Which is it, or are you only trying to be humorous? In any case, that quotation sounds like alcoholic humor to me, even if it is humor.

17. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I highly suggest you hit an AA meeting, if you are alcoholic, you may be headed down the dark path that many before you have taken. You said you might be alcoholic, so go find out, see if you identify with the other alcoholics at the meeting. You don't have to talk, and you don't have to decide whether you are an alcoholic, you can just go and listen ...

Not to be a dick, but if you stopped drinking for a while, we probably wouldn't have to skip this.

18. sams0n

sams0n $ OT Supporter

edited by nukegoat for violating the rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2004
  19. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Read the rules before posting in here.

20. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

eof - you don't need to do those exact things suggested, I don't think that was the point, the point is to look for other avenues othaer than drink.

The continentals drink a glass of water along with every alchoholic drink. I've tried, it does help you to not get drunk.

In all honesty from my perspective I wouldn't say you're an alcoholic but I do come from a country a bit different from the US.

You have underlying issues needing taken care of that make you want to drink to excess.

21. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

one is too many and a thousand never enough for some of us folks, our intentions are always good to only have one or two, and then a day or so later, we come to - think about what happens to you, do you get in trouble when drinking, feel yucky afterwards, have blackouts, can you remember what you do (was it embarrassing to you or your friends?), going to a meeting never killed anyone, and the suggestion to go and listen to see if you identify is one that I agree with - good luck on your quest