Not sure if this is a problem. Opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jas0n, May 26, 2008.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Bought a 2K Civic EX coupe, stock as far as I know, MANUAL transmission. Here's the deal:

When shifting into gear and accelerating, seems like it doesn't matter how hard I happen to be driving, the car seems like it hesitates. This will be difficult to describe but I'm going to try.

Sometimes people who are new to driving a manual will let off the clutch before they've given ample gas, and the car seems to shudder forward. In this case, it seems like it's doing exactly that, but on a much more subtle level. And again it doesn't seem to matter how much gas I'm applying.

For some reason, I want to say it like, instead of the acceleration being linear (or curved, such as the power band may be), it goes up in clearly-graduated steps.

My only suspects are the engine mounts and the transmission (probably clutch? does this in any gear), but I have absolutely nothing to base either
    suspicion on. :hs:

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

So when you step on the gas, the RPMs rise, but the speed doesn't increase with it, but lags behind? If that's what I'm reading, then you have a slipping clutch, and the only fix is replacing it.

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Well, the lumpiness may be too subtle to register on the tachometer, but if I were to have to say one way or the other, I'd say that the engine is in on it too... so it's not that the engine is revving up but the car isn't ramping up too. Rather, the engine revs up in stages (not cool stages like VTAK) and the car follows suit.

I noticed also that it's more pronounced when I am turning and accelerating, though I have not yet determined if it depends on which direction I'm turning. Probably because of the nature of the gearing and how I drive, it's also most noticeable in second gear.

Definitely appreciate your help here.

4. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Ah, I see. Check for spark and fuel, sounds like you could be missing on one cylinder, either weak spark or maybe a clogged injector, although on a 2000, you should get a flashing CEL for a misfire code.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Spark isn't an issue. If there's spark, it will ignite. If there isn't spark, it won't ignite. However, it could be a spark timing problem; it does sound like the timing is getting delayed more than it should be, possibly as a result of an improper fuel mixture. The #1 culprit, if the fuel mixture is off, is a badly-worn (but not dead) oxygen sensor. #2 is clogged fuel injectors.

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Not all spark is created equal. If it has a very weak spark, the A/F mix won't ignite evenly/well, and will result in a loss of power. Checking for spark is easy and an efficient way to see what is going on, as the condition of the plug can also tell you what is happening.

7. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

How do I check for spark?

And how does one go about testing for a nearly-bad O2 sensor?

Thanks for this help fellas