MIL Not really Arsenal related. Question about joining military.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twist_of_fate, Dec 18, 2003.

1. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I've been interested in joining the military or becoming an LEO for a while. I'm kind of interested in joining the Coast Guard and just want to get information right now. I don't really want to talk to a recuiter yet and wanted to know if anyone could tell me if I fill out a form for information are they going to send a recruiter? Can I request to have them just mail information?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yes, you can. A recruiter will likely call you, but i can tell you that the USCG recruiters are the least pushy of all branches. And while the USA, USN, or USMC might send people to your door, don't count on it from the USCG unless you ask them to come. The CG recruiters are spread a lot thinner, for example, the nearest "other branch" recruiters are barely a five minute drive from me. It's a 45 minute drive to the nearest CG recruiter. There are too few and they're usually too far away to chase people around.

The CG guys basically just said "we're here, call us when we can help." They'll tell you what the CG has to offer and answer your questions, but they never tried to "talk me into it" as recruiters from the other branches did. i can honestly say they never left me feeling like i was being railroaded or didn't know what i was getting into.

The Coast Guard is also the most applicable branch if you're also interested in law enforcement. In many rates, you are a sworn federal LE officer who enforces maritime laws with powers of arrest.

Due to some emergency issues, i had to back out at the last minute, and i've never gotten back around to it but i had a ship date with the CG, so i can try to help with any questions you have about hooking up with that branch.

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Coast Guard is definately the least pushy, I never talked to them but some friends did. Most of the other branches will do anything they can to get you to join, I know my Army recruiter did. Hell I've been out for over 2 years now and about a month ago a recruiter showed up at my house trying to get me to go into the reserves. All the branches have pretty good LEO training, the Coast Guard is going to be where it's most like normal law enforcement though. In the Army the MP's could be doing anything from traffic enforcement to guarding POW's in a war zone, so a lot of what they do isn't really applicable to civilian law enforcement.

4. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Since it's a type of Law Enforcement would the qualifications apply the same as they would for becoming a Police Officer? I wasn't aware how similar they were. I was trying to find out if I would be disqualified if I had been caught shoplifting when I was 13. It was an isolated case and don't have any other record. Any idea?

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If you qualify to join the military, and get a good enough score on your ASVAB are going to be the only requirements for getting into that type of job. One minor thing on your record like that should not affect anything.

6. kellyclan

An isolated incident such as that several years in your past, the CG won't hold that against you. In fact, only the most picky (read as: Mayberry) civilian police dept would even hold that against you if it was the only time you were in trouble.

7. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

So if I decided to just go with the local Police Dept. I should still be okay? I'm really undecided, but I just feel like I need some excitement in my life and I want to be able to contribute to the community. Thanks for the help guys.

8. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

What type of score would they be looking for on the ASVAB? Does that help determine your placement? Also, how long do they keep that score on file? If I were to take the test and decided I wasn't really ready at that time, would they keep it on file for a few months or years. I'm really trying to talk my wife into letting me do something. She's really paranoid though, especially with our first child due in about five weeks.

9. kellyclan

Yeah, i'd be really surprised if any PD's held something like that against you.

As for the ASVAB scores, they determine what rates you'll be eligible for. It's really not a difficult test, and the only things you need top scores for are like nuclear engineering.

The ASVAB scores are kept for a limited time, for some reason 6 monthes is coming to mind, but it might've been up to a year. i don't recall for sure, but definitely not more than a year. You'd just have to go take it again after that.

Depending on what you're doing currently, the CG might be a solid move for a young family. You won't be living like a king, but you'll have a house, food, and medical benefits for the family. If you're already stable, you could consider the Reserves. It gets you the opportunity for much of the same training with less time away from home.

10. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I just requested information for the Coast Guard and I'm looking at information on my local PD's site. I have pretty bad eye sight and wear contacts, would that prevent me from joining the Coast Guard?

11. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Damn. I posted this question at the Socnet.com board earlier. Some of those guys can be jerks. Who would have thought that asking a simple question would have everyone jumping down my throat. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking it now would I? Oh well. Thanks for your responses and help guys.

12. kellyclan

As long as you're 20/400 or better, you're fine. The only thing you won't be able to do is work in an aviation rate (pilot, ASM, flight mech)

Worse than 20/400, i don't know. :dunno:

13. Furner

Furner New Member

FYI if you seek out a recruiter from any other branch, they will pester you like to tomorrow. Im about to forget my whole Army thing if my recruiter dosnt back off soon. He has called me at home, work, on my cell phone, and stopped by work to distract me, all in a period of a week. Once they see a potential recruit, they will try hard to get your name on the dotted line.

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the coast guard and LE aren't options for me because i don't want to have to enforce drug laws i don't agree with.