SRS not much money for christmas gifts there year, embarrassed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Dec 21, 2009.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

i recently just got done running my small seasonal business since the winter hit, and got accepted into the police academy. With all the time required, i still couldn't get a part time job during my off season that would accommodate my school schedule. Anyways my truck took a dump and i have to fix it myself. Clutch,flywheel,power steering pump, tires etc. ALso my other car which is old needs some work asap since that is what i am driving now. With these unexpected repairs and my other bills, i dont have much money for christmas gifts.

I always feel bad because my mom and dad always spend way to much money on gifts as my older brothers do to, since they both have good jobs. I have about 8 people to buy things for, but i cant spend that much. I was thinking about giving gift certificates for getting their car detailed, since that is the business i own, but i don't know if that seems to tacky.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

The true holiday spirit of anxiety and guilt...

Don't worry about it dude. Give what you can, good people will understand.

3. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

You'd be surprised that everyone will understand.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

You give what you can. Why would you feel embarassed?

5. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

I would love a gift of getting my car detailed! I don't think it's tacky.

If you're really worried about it, you can do the gifts of time.. if your brothers have kids offer to watch them for the night so they can have a night alone or something like that..

I know it depends on the people, but there are all sorts of things you can do!

Oh, and congrats on the police academy!

6. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

they shouldnt love you less if you cannot afford to give expensive gifts.

two years ago, i was making more money then i am now. last year, i gave what i could, and this year i am doing the same. no one said anything to me, because they knew the situation. i dont feel bad about it because giving christmas gifts should not be X months of salary.

if you made $700k a year and gave everyone that same gift you would get more :ugh: from your family, unless it was part of a bigger gift.

7. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks everyone for the replies, makes me feel much more at ease for getting gifts i could afford.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

my brother got me a belt one year, and neither he (nor I) felt bad about it.

do what you can. if you want christmas to be special, DO SOMETHING for people rather than buying them something. give out hand-made personalized "I will detail your car" coupons or something.

i know I always appreciate when someone does something much more than when someone buys something. in fact, this christmas I asked my father to find me a saw. he said "you want me to buy you a saw?" and I said "no, FIND me a saw" and gave him details about it. it took him a few weeks, but he found it. then i went and looked at it and decided it was what I wanted and I bought it.

his gift to me was the time it took him to find the saw, not the actual saw itself.

btw, the saw looked like this

[​IMG] (not the actual saw, but close!)

9. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

You shouldn't feel embarrassed. You would buy gifts if you could afford it, but due to circumstances beyond your control you can't afford any gifts. No family member would be upset with you for that.

Good idea there. Everyone enjoys a clean car, especially a detailed one. You've got the right idea there, if you can't BUY them something, then DO something for them. Gift certificates for detailing is good. One thing I did one year was cook up a bunch of sweets like Brownies, chocolate covered pretzels, fudge, etc and wrap it all up and give one to everyone.

Remember: The REAL reason for the season is love and togetherness, not a pissing contest over who can buy the most crap for each other.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

my wife was a social worker and I was a teacher...needless to say, we were pretty fucking poor.

this is 10 years later, and the gift everyone keeps talking about every year is the time we asked around and found out people's favorite flavor, then made them all fudge. it was about $20 in ingredients and 4 hours with a mixing bowl, a microwave, and the fudge recipe straight from the back of a tub of Fluff ......... but every year someone asks when we're doing that again :rofl:

11. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I would love a free professional detail :bowdown: that shit is $200-300 easily

12. quamen

quamen New Member

yeah it is expenisve. Even after doing this for the last 11 years still takes me about 6 hours plus for a suv, 4-5 hrs for a car. Even though alot of work is involved i thought it was tacky, because it is kinda "free" in a way.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

your time and labour is never free