Not liking the iPhone GPS...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Sep 19, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I recently drove from Atlanta, GA to Destin FL. Then from Destin to Detroit. I'm not too happy with Google maps and the GPS.

First, Google decide to route me the long way around. Not sure why it chose this way. I found out from some lady in Alabama that it was the long way. If I would've went another way I could've probably saved a couple hours on my trip. Oh well.

Second, is there a car power adapter that will leave the screen on with backlight and prevent it from going to the lock screen? Or is there another way? It really sucks driving and having to unlock or touch the screen so I can figure out where I'm going.

Third, Google maps has some serious flaws, but I know it's a given. There were three times where I wanted to go somewhere only to find it was in the opposite spot Google said it was.

After this trip, I'm thinking about getting a stand alone GPS. I was hoping the my iPhone would be enough, but it isn't. Any word on a fully functional GPS app being released? I haven't been keeping track of the news lately.

2. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Tom Tom has been mum ever since July. iPhone software 2.1 was supposed to contain major enhancements to what the GPS chips report to allow for navigation software, but I've not seen anything to confirm that.

Garmin and TeleNav have also shown interest, but obviously nothing yet has come out.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's not really made to be a navigation system sadly. GPS on the iPhone isn't much more then for showing where you are for your starting point on Google Maps and that's about it. It would be great to see Garmin or TeleNav do something but it doesn't seem that's the case at this point. There are a lot of developers out there that haven't gone to the iPhone yet (Skype I'm looking at you). We can only hope it'll happen at some point.

As for keeping the screen on, just set Autolock time to Never in the settings.

I would just buy a stand alone GPS if you really need it. Or you could just use a map like everyone use to. Still seems to be the best (and cheapest) option.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't really understand the point of including GPS, but not allowing real turn-by-turn directions. yeah, so you can use geotagging with pictures and mark on a map where you left your car, but that's so limiting.

5. Mindflux

Mindflux New Member

Disable your slide to unlock when using the GPS in this manner.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

is apple not allowing a program with tbt directions?

as for the length of the trip, its standard to choose the most common route. i know some gps units have the option of "shortest route" though

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, i'm not sure. at one point it sounded like they were, but then supposedly they claimed they weren't going to stop turn-by-turn directions if a vendor put something together.

8. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I use a Griffin Car Adapter and my iPhone doesn't go to sleep... Not that I recall. I can't really remember

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

I bought the only Griffin car adapter that Griffin says will work with the 3G. Always goes to sleep.

10. hurleyint1386

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

sounds like you're upset with google maps than the actual gps...

and i've had a few directions from google maps webpage take me a longer way than say mapquest...
    my car has sat nav now so i don't really care

12. verbal

verbal Active Member

13. hurleyint1386

I'd say wait. Next time I'm in my car, I'll check it to see. I'm 90% sure it doesn't go to sleep, though. If it doesn't, then you could go out and put this one, see how you like it, then return which ever one you don't want. It would be better than returning the one you have now, getting the other one, then returning it to get the original one again.

14. verbal

verbal Active Member

This one works iffy anyway. Sometimes it charges the iPhone fast others it's extremely slow.

I'm really hoping Griffin releases an update to the Tuneflex Aux soon so it works with the 3G. :x: It'd be sooo nice to have it right there in a 'stand' and charger so it doesn't have to sit on my seat.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

Anyone know of another charger like the Tuneflex Aux?

15. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

:dunno: I use a tuneflex for my iPhone when I forget my iPod video. It's the first model tuneflex (even before the model you linked) and it works fine. It always displays the Airplane Mode prompt and I select NO and everything works.

*edit* oh and standalone GPS ftw.....I've definitely had my fill of google maps giving me shitty directions on the phone in the past.

16. verbal

verbal Active Member

3G uses different pins to charge than the 1st gen.

17. hurleyint1386

My charger is for iPods and the original phone, not for the 3G, and it works fine.

18. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

yeah, the 3g iPhone's GPS is pretty much worthless.

(just like the rest of the phone :mamoru: )

j/k :o

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I get the same Airplan Mode prompt with my iHome.