GUN Not hating, just curious.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lightsped, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I am not hating on anyone or attempting to put any firearm down. But come on guys, we have a crap load of AR-15 topics. Its like they are everywhere. So and so is wanting to know how to build one, another is wanting to know which brands are the best, another is the difference from 223 vs 5.56, another is looking for AR optics, another wants to know how to make a SBR, etc, etc....

Again, not hating, just wondering why there is so much AR activity and love here. There ARE other guns out there.....

Have you guys considered joining your efforts together to make a ultimate AR topic? You'd get alot more accomplished and answered instead of flooding WMD with the repeating of every AR question ever asked....

It's always a relief to me to see topics about shotguns, AKs, FALS, Class 3 goodies, or various makes of pistols.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

they are probably the most versatile firearm platform :dunno:

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I think a lot of it has to do with the upcoming election. We might not be able to get ARs a year from now so everyone is getting the builds they want done now for some peace of mind.

4. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Perhaps and perhaps not, but either way, we keep seeing the same questions asked over and over and over again. No hate from me, but variety is always a good thing.

What would benefit all of the AR folks here would be to make a giant AR sticky that members could ask for help and contribute too. Consolidate all the AR stuff into one place. Easy to find and get answers to all of your questions.

5. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

It's 5.56 and part of the neck is a little different. 5.56 will chanber in 223 but not the other way around. And like Hoss said....there are hundereds of options avaliable so you can configure it just the way you like

6. xpinchx

It would help neaten up WMD but it's not necessarily the best way to get quick answers. If there's a 20-page AR thread stickied and you ask a question you might get 1-2 answers spread across a couple days, but if you make a new thread you can get 5 or so unique answers in about an hour. :dunno:

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i would say it is.

anything from .17HMR to .50BMG (and im probably forgetting some), its used in competition, hunting and recreation and comes in almost any configuration you want.

8. xpinchx

But yeah I counted 12 AR threads on the front page. :rofl:

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I don't mind all the threads, this board doesn't move too quickly anyway but I think a lot of the same questions do get asked and it might be more efficient or something to have a sticky for general AR stuff. Build guides, difference between .223, 5.56, ect. Just common knowledge for most of us but new information for people just getting into it.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you haven't noticed, and this is just an honest assessment. OT is a little I don't want to say "trendy", but are a little more easily influenced to join a "crew", just because we are a smaller group and one good post can set it off.

Nothing wrong with that. It's like my regular IDPA and USPSA friends. We all almost have the same type of arsenal. All of us have AR's, all of us have some form of a CZ, all of us have a collection of 1911's and we all have XD's or Glocks and we all have a S&W wheel gun.

We've been known to coordinate the day before to agree on shooting a particular pattern pistol so we can compete against each other every once in a while.

So I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it. That's just how it seems to appear here. There are a select few that does buck the trend and have a particular interest that they stick to regardless of what everyone else has. (Buzz Killington comes to mind) But there is a vast majority that seem to "crew up" with a particular pattern. AR15 just happens to be the latest bandwagon. I've owned several for close to 15 years now so it's really not a big deal to me anymore. I went through the whole "roll your own" thing a long time ago and can recall asking all the same questions.

It's just the natural progression of gun owners. It's nice to have a group that you can ask questions. I only had a few relatives, a couple manuals that were hard to understand and friends when I went through it. Hardly anyone I knew at the time had the compiled internet knowledge like AR15.com. And the aftermarket supply wasn't as plentiful as it appears today. I think I remember there were only a small handful of places you could buy receivers. Now they seem to be everywhere.

11. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i'm willing to bet it has something to do with a potential AWB pending the current political situation, and probably that it is one of if not THE most popular carbine rifle right now.

edit: yes i realize carbine rifle is a bit of an oxymoron

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Because that's just the guns people are looking for right now. Sometimes WMD gets flooded with topics about glocks, sigs, 1911's...whatever.

Go buy something and make a post about it, if you want. Till then, sit back, and STFU.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:ugh2:

14. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Lets see

1) easily built
    2) easily configurable, to individual liking, therefore comfortable to shoot
    3) relatively cheap to build by hand, adds a personal touch, knowing you assembled it
    4) accurate
    5) reliable
    6) simple operation
    7) relatively cheap to shoot
    8) aesthetics are pleasing to the eye, its a cool rifle
    9) it is our nation's battle rifle, so it has that positive connotation

All of this makes it popular to almost every shooting crowd, its cheap so it fits well with the beginner, it can be made absurdly accurate so it has the target shooting segment, it also fits well with hunters or people looking for adequate home defense because of its ruggedness, accuracy, lightweight, and reliability, and it also has a certain place in the hearts of mall ninjas everywhere due to its evil black color/shape and its military usage

not to mention intangibles such as political statements, wanting one before their banned, market saturation, "bad boy" image and the fact that it is the aim of politicians and soccer mom's everywhere to deem it evil and unnecessary, therefore the "want" factor is high

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'm not a fan of AR's. :dunno:

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

I don't think he's asking "why" it's popular, it's pretty evident why. He's asking "why just lately there have been a million posts about it."

It doesn't bother me at all. I just don't click on the post, not hard at all. If there's something I want to discuss, I make a post about it. Simple as that. I mostly post on here because I like some of the characters on here. But when I want a little more variety I go to other sites.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'll take a 1000 ar threads over another "hay guys i want a gun, what is the best handgun made" thread.

18. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Who cares? Don't click if you don't want to read an AR thread. :dunno:

19. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I concur :wiggle:

20. t1h

t1h Guest

honestly, I don't like AR-15's. they don't do anything for me. I'm only interested in C&R firearms.

21. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Yeah, I guess I should stop clicking on the topics. I just figured folks were getting tired of sounding like broken records, but guess not. No harm done.... And yes, I am a fan of ARs, but I also realize there are many other guns out there.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

hey, nothing wrong with that at all. You have a pretty nice collection, so I know you are one of the more "diverse" collectors here. I know it's easy to say "WTF AR ???" but it's easier to just ignore the posts that have no interest to you.

I just look at it as, who am I think any different, I remember asking all the same "silly" questions not too long ago. A stupid question is a question not asked. I'd rather educate them correctly then have them "assume" something because they were not allowed to ask.

:cool:

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

or "what's the best way to do this really stupid thing with a gun?" threads

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Just because I want to shoot two guns in different directions at the same time does or twirl a gun on my finger doesn't give you a right to call me stupid, I'm a special snowflake and I've seen this done in movies so I know its safe!

:rofl:

25. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

He's been posting in here for what a month or two now, and you'd think he had the whole posting pattern of OT mapped down to a science and ready for a college thesis.